Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
Can my fellow wood heaters confirm if this is black cherry and how many years it takes to dry? How high on the scale is its BTU's. I can tell you its not easy to split, even when frozen. 20190116_115823_resized.jpg

Oh and that's not the final size. Just split down so I could move them.

Thank you. It will be part of my 2021-2022 supply.

Yep, Black Cherry. Bark is a dead give away. Burns well and of course has the nice cherry odor when burned.

Yep, Black Cherry. Bark is a dead give away. Burns well and of course has the nice cherry odor when burned.
It does smell nice but leaves lots of ash.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Cherry. Shouldn't be hard to split though unless you're dealing with knots. Cherry has always split real nice for me wet or dry.

Black Cherry no doubt. I’d give it one season to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut & split some last Jan/Feb, put on pallets in full sun/wind, stacked 4’ tall & 2 rows deep. I sent a 1/2 cord to my BIL before Christmas. There were couple of the large splits about 6” that were 22% but everything else I checked was 20% or less. I pulled & checked a dozen pieces a couple days before I loaded it. It always seems to split well green or dry.

The bark looks like black cherry. The wood does not. Black cherry is the easiest wood to split there is. So I'm not sure what you have. It can be burned in as short as six months after cutting and splitting, if stacked in a windy, sunny area.

(I use black cherry to show people how to split wood, because it's so easy. They always succeed if they simply hit it in the right spot.)

My ax would just pop right off it. I had to use wedges.

It’s definitely cherry. It should split really easily. Maybe your axe needs a new edge put on?

Looks like some wood I got last year but with mine the wood was a red color and not easy to split. Also it was very light weight compared to oak. I had an old timer call it cherry so that’s what I thought it to be,

Looks like some wood I got last year but with mine the wood was a red color and not easy to split. Also it was very light weight compared to oak. I had an old timer call it cherry so that’s what I thought it to be,
Theres black cherry and pin cherry. Black cherry isnt bad, pin cherry is bad.

That looked like it could has been big enough for the saw mill but maybe it was too crooked or bowed? Rarely grows strait in lower elevations.

The bark looks like black cherry. The wood does not
Color doesn't look rich enough for Black Cherry, bark flakes look large, but it's some type of Cherry. Sapwood is another clue.

I absolutely love black cherry.That's definitely what you have, the wood in my batch looked like that and was a little stringy when green. It was a b**ch to split. When I had a load for my fireplace I didn't use the kitchen stove for 3 weeks. Best cooking wood ever. I love plum too.