Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
This tree is in the North Carolina mountains. This orange wood is weird, I have never seen such a thing.
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG

Wow, I thought it was a camera issue. Its really that orange? Any leaves?

Previously govt land? Have a Geiger counter?

Reactions: Woody Stover
This tree was growing 90 feet from the French Broad River. There is a hydroelectric dam there and the land is owned by the power company. The power company came in and whacked 2 dozen trees the other day, I am not sure why. There were four or five of these trees with the orange wood that were cut down. I don't recall that these trees were diseased, the wood looks OK, except it is bright orange. Bark looks OK. This trunk is 18 inch diameter and 20 feet long. I could drive in there and cut it up for the Jotul, but I won't cut it up if I don't know what it is.

Does Ponderosa Pine have orange wood?
Ponderosa Pine doesn't grow in North Carolina. I will try to go back there tomorrow and get more pics. This is a weird one.

If it stays like that (if it doesn't bleach), see if you can use it for wood working projects.

Cut a section and contact the forest service or a local nature center. UNC has an arboretum just south of you see what they say. Bring a piece of it not just a picture. It has bark like a pine for what that's worth.

I just went back down there and took more pics. The large stump is turning red, and even more brilliant than shown in the pic. Then I got a pic of another, smaller tree. Of the 20 trees that got wacked, one week ago, only these two have this brilliant orange-red wood.

I counted the growth rings and these trees are 40 years old. This place is right on the river, and is a popular spot for people to put in rafts and kayaks and ride the French Broad River. I have seen license plates from Ohio, Florida and NY State parked right there. It is possible that, 40 years ago, a guy from California parked there and planted some Ponderosa Pine seeds.

I touched and smelled the sap, it didn't smell like pine. Weird.
IMG_5384.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG

Reactions: stoveliker
Does Ponderosa Pine have orange wood?
Ponderosa Pine doesn't grow in North Carolina. I will try to go back there tomorrow and get more pics. This is a weird one.
I understand however many non native species have a way of showing up in habitats they normally are not found. It's some type of pine my guess, certain species of pine turn orangish as they are exposed to air.My wager , pine of some sort, been wrong before but I've seen that wood before out west.

40 years ago there weren't cars there from CA and other places.

To me and if you were in a Northern State or Ontario
I would say it is Black Alder. Too bad you don't have a leaf or the fruit
It is classified as an invasive species here
That may be why the power company cut them

Soft Maple

Osage?
Anything that looks like an orange with warts all over it laying around?

I'm in Ponderosa Pine country. That is not Ponderosa Pine. Ponderosa has a red tint to the bark and the bark is more ridged. Also, the wood is red tinged, which makes it look pinkish. And it is pitchy, too. That wood is yellow, the bark is wrong, and there isn't any pitch.

The sap doesn't have any smell. It is not sticky like pine sap.

Reactions: patrickk222
I haven't tried lifting it.

@Sawset wanna have a look at this one?