1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood ID

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Diabel, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Can anybody help identifying this wood. It has very small leaves (bright yellow in the fall). It is very hard & heavy!
    Thanks D

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Black Cherry
  3. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Seriously,

The tree reminds me of acacia tree...its leaves & seeds but black cherry!!
    When I was cutting it I could see tinny sparks (few) from the chain (or was it my imagination). Anyways, it is definitely hardwood, it is harder to cut than hard maple or beech maybe at par with ironwood.
  4. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    I found some leaves

Attached Files:

5. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    It is Honey Locust.
  6. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Yeah, I think you're right. I just goggled it & saw few pictures ....but this one does not have thorns.
  7. trailblaze

trailblaze New Member

Loc:
    South West PA
    looks like good burning wood!!
  8. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    From the picture of the wood, it looks a lot like black cherry, but the leaves look more like locust. We have lots of Black Locust around here, and its bark is very thick and woody. If the bark of honey locust is the same as black locust, then what you have is probably not locust. Although, those rounds don't look too big, so thats probably branch wood. Maybe not mature enough to develop that thick bark i'm talking about. Check out this site. It's the best one I've found for identifcation. http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/frame.htm
  9. jeffman3

jeffman3 New Member

Loc:
    S.W. Nebraska
    The bark pattern looks like locust to me. I wouldn't burn that stuff! Put it out by the curb and we will take care of that nasty wood for you. ;-)

Seriously that is good stuff!!! I just finished cutting up a bit more then a cord and a half, from the local tree dump. 38-40" across the round. My Husky 350 got a work out! The rounds had to weigh a couple hundred pounds each. I have been told that when it's good and seasoned, it will burn long and very hot, not unlike coal. I don't know how reliable that is. I haven't burned any yet, and I have never burned coal, but this stuff is dense.
  10. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    This was just one branch. Now I now why my saw was choking on few occasions & I kid you not I saw few tinny sparks while cutting around the bark side.

Thanks guys, with this identity I will split it on Monday & put it away for 2yrs.

btw this came from my friends property..& he has 4 of these trees about 25" at the trunk! He wants them all out :gulp: He does not like the leaves i.e. raking them in the fall!!
  11. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Perfect score! Take it all! If you split it now, it will be ready for next season.
  12. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks woodburn,

This is sitting on my driveway already. I was doing my friend a favor...by trimming the tree. Once I was done, only then he told me that he wants them all out in the spring!
  13. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Don't have honey locust here and I have never even seen it but the leaves do look like the black locust that grows here.
  14. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    The Black locust trees have bigger leaves then the honey locust trees. If Im not wrong the black locust the thorns.fespo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.