Wood ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Which Maple would you say this is?

Attachments

• Maple.jpg
    Maple.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 424
  • Maplea.jpg
    Maplea.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 379
  • Mapleb.jpg
    Mapleb.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Maplec.jpg
    Maplec.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 372
With the short trunk I would say it's not Sugar Maple. (hard maple) It could be a Norway Maple.

zap

Attachments

• maple-leaves.gif
    maple-leaves.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 355
Odd way to take that tree down?

I agree. I think its Norway Maple. The guy that is selling it said it was Red Maple. I think its Norway though.

what the heck? was the cutter standing on a ladder for that crap or what? The only reason to take a tree down like that is if there it a huge top to it that could, once the tree fell, bounce the main truck back and off the stump towards the house. I've never had A BIG ONE do that very badly, because the hinge is usually big enough to keep stuff where it should be kept or the trunk is heavy enough to just mash the top down. Now, on a tree that's less than a 8" through, i might get carried away and cut through the thing faster than I should and I suppose it could bounce all around.....

Ya, that looks like a lot of work went into taking the tree down; dangerous work too. I've done some like that but not by choice.

I have three Norway Maples in my grove and the bark looks just like that.

Yea the first pics totally look like Norway bark. However he has since sent me closer photos. Definitely not Norway......see below.

Attachments

• P4195101.jpg
    P4195101.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 289
  • P4195103.jpg
    P4195103.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 293
  • P4195104.jpg
    P4195104.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 286
how about silver. I'm reading that one thing about silver is that it grows really fast, so check the rings on that sucker and see if they are about 1/2 inch apart. that might be a good indicator. That would be a fairly old silver maple judging by that trunk. We have some silver maples at my parent's farm and the trunks will likely be about like that (short) when they are something like 30-40 years old.

I am pretty sure its Red Maple. Red grows the way this tree did from what I have seen. Silver is much straighter and higher like Sugar.

looks like red maple to me.

although, in my experience, silver maple is definitely not taller and straighter than red maple - but the other way around - actually - and where a tree is growing has a lot to do with how it grows - trees that grow in the open (yard or field) are going to branch out a lot sooner than a tree growing in a forest.

having said that, silver maple does tend to split pretty close to the base into two or three or four large trunks that then can sprawl out all over the place.

i do think your tree is red maple

Norway maples will get coarse bark on older sections.
They'll also grow up fairly straight if they have to compete with a canopy.
Out in the open they'll grow fat and round, but so will other maples.
I'd need some leaves and some seed pods.

A large norway maple usually won't have lawn or much of anything growing very well under it. Both from the dense canopy and the root system.

i would have said Norway maple based on the fist set of photos, but the second set, which is larger and easier to see well, looks like Red Maple to me. Maybe the guy selling the wood actually knows what he is talking about.

If you look at the btu chart it shows apple at very low btu's. Anyone have much apple experience?
I think it shows norway too high.
I don't think the picture is norway. Its either red or silver leaning towards red. The smooth branches are just younger.

Looks like Red Maple to me as well and it could also have been some kind of hybrid Maple from a tree nursury.

He didnt know for sure what it was thats why i questioned it. He said it could be Red or it could be Norway he didnt know.......

gzecc said:
If you look at the btu chart it shows apple at very low btu's. Anyone have much apple experience?
I think it shows norway too high.
I don't think the picture is norway. Its either red or silver leaning towards red. The smooth branches are just younger.

Yep - definitely red maple.

And I've burnt a fair amount of apple. Very dense wood. Good long burnen wood. Tend to save what I get for holidays and when we have company over. Smells great in the fire!

Danny, that second set of pictures looks just like the soft maple we have around here. Get it split asap and it should burn well by fall. It also makes excellent kindling because it is easy to light and burns hot which will help the rest of the wood get started nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.