Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajreid

Nov 16, 2010
il
Is the split on top Ironwood?

IMG_8622_0778.jpg

This is the end of the split with Locust underneath. What ever it is sure is dense.

IMG_8629_0785.jpg

Like the others have said , white oak . Good stuff !!!

Does it smell sweet? Nothing like the smell of a fresh White Oak split when the round has been sitting out for a while. It's clear why they age beverages in Oak barrels...

White Oak. See the medullary rays in the end of the split? Those rays are characteristic of oaks.

+1 on white oak. dead standing ?

I've had the soft deterioration on the outside absorb rain water, freeze and take at least a day on the basement floor to warm out and thaw out enough to not be a smokey mess in the stove. Still one of the best woods around here for burning.

Looks like a hedge apple hence post to me. Osage orange

Woody Stover said:
Does it smell sweet? Nothing like the smell of a fresh White Oak split when the round has been sitting out for a while. It's clear why they age beverages in Oak barrels...

True. White Oaks have very pleasant smell I agree.The main reason that beverages such as top quality wines,whisky,sherry & bourbon are aged in them is that the pores contain tyloses,a substance that makes the wood waterproof & thus barrels dont leak.Plus the various caramel & vanilla flavors that white oaks bring to the finished product.That's why you never see any barrels that hold liquids made from Red Oak,the wood is very porous & dont have those tyloses.Liquid will start to run out immediately.

Bottom split underneath either looks like aged Honey Locust or Osage Orange (hedge)

+1 on a white oak

Thanks for all the reply's. I didn't realize White Oak was that dense a lot more dense than the red oak I have. It was dead standing. I have yet to cut down a live tree yet. There are a few years of dead standing on my property. I will try splitting a chunk of this stuff to smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.