wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Vomit

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2011
eastern PA
how bout it?

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 321
  • wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 331
Left is ash. Right is a half round of the soft maple from earlier, I think. Cheers!

Is that a pic of bark and insides or two different pieces...? Norway maple if the same piece?

norway mapple split 3 1/2 courds this year

Picture on left is ash. Picture on right looks like maple.

Backwoods Savage said:
Picture on left is ash. Picture on right looks like maple.

That's what I thought, but, if the split is from the same tree at the bark pic, I guess norway maple must be it. Bark super ash like, but split definitely maple. Cheers!

I think it is Norway Maple. I am not sure I can tell Norway Maple from Ash based only on the bark (at least not based on photos) - they look very similar.

Seems to take a long time to dry. I think more than one yr.

Norway

oldspark said:
asple-same piece of wood-get it-I hope so.

Ah yes, the new ash/maple hybrid. I've heard of it but never actually seen it before until now. ;-P

Blue Vomit said:
oldspark said:
asple-same piece of wood-get it-I hope so.

Ah yes, the new ash/maple hybrid. I've heard of it but never actually seen it before until now. ;-P

I've always called it "mash" . . . but perhaps folks in other states know it by its other name -- "asple."

Status
Not open for further replies.