Wood Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
So I'm very new to trying to identify wood. My primary reason for wanting to learn how to ID is for my smoker. I'm browsing through the Wood ID sticky and trying to learn there but I have access to some wood. Below is a picture and I have no idea what it is. Any help?

01111_c9Zx2fAZqOR_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
2nd pic gonna go with soft maple. Not sure for the first one.

The first one looks like it could be red ash. The second is soft maple. Neither is desirable for smoking.
Fruit woods and hardwoods is what you are looking for. My personal favorites are hickory, apple and cherry with white oak being used on occasion for "light" smoking (think grilled salmon).

1RST could be mulberry, tho not sure. Would need closer pic of bark and grain. Second almost certainly soft maple.

I'm not sure about the first pic, either. The second looks like silver maple. You can smoke with silver maple, but it's pretty light...certainty worth a test run after it's seasoned. I suggest using the heartwood only. Silver maple bark stinks when burned, in my opinion.

1st pic - reddish wood and bark - looks like red elm/ slippery elm.
Slimy, stinky ? Slime flux present ?

You mentioned just using the wood for your smoker. I don't smoke meat so have no experience with it

But just wanted to throw out there with wood for smokers do you want to make sure it was cut using a vegetable oil for bar oil in the chainsaw ? My saws throw lots of oil which definitely gets on the wood. Is this ok for smoking ?

Honestly not trying to troll on your question I'm seriously curious about it. There was a thread about using vegetable oil in chainsaws on here a few months ago. I think there was some mention of using it for wood being cut for cooking.

I've been wanting to get a smoker myself it sounds like a fun way to slowly cook meat

Status
Not open for further replies.