wood insert for small fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xer0

Oct 14, 2014
South eastern mass
I am looking for a decent wood insert for my fire place, down side it's it's size.

O
fp-specs-image-jpg.145986

I would like to do the install my self . Thank you

That doesnt look to small really What inserts have you looked at? What is your budget? I think you will need a hearth extension regardless

As far as budget, I am open to ideas as my best options. Also, I am hoping to sell my house in the next 5-6 years so idk of its better to make the investment or not. Thank you

Also, I am hoping to sell my house in the next 5-6 years so idk of its better to make the investment or not. Thank you
That depends on the market where i am an insert would be beneficial for the sale but some areas an open fp would be better

What's that opening height: 24" or 34"? If it is the latter you could easily fit a freestanding stove in there. Otherwise, there are still be plenty of inserts that would fit. Can you tell us more about your situation? Like: size of the home, insulation level, stove as primary or supplemental heat source, desired burn times, dimensions and length of flue, house layout, location of fireplace, preferred design etc. A picture of the fireplace will also not hurt.

Got any dry wood yet?

I have about 3/4 of a cord. I know not enough but that's what I have.

It will end up being to suplement my oil burner becuase I work 10 and 14 hour shifts and as of right now my wife isn't going to load the fire place lol.

I have a 1800 sf house, the fire place is in the living one. There is two door in the living room, one opens into the open cone pt dinning/ kitchen and the other opens into the short hallway that connects the kitchen and play room (I want to knock down the wall between play to make more open, wife says no lol). In the living room there us the stair case that opens to a sort hall way with 3 bed rooms off of it.

Hight is 24"

Exterior chimney 25' ish I am estimating.

I would have suggested something larger in the 3 cu ft firebox category due to the longer burn times. Or maybe a BlazeKing Princess. But if it is a good deal and you only want it for supplemental heat it should be ok. Enerzone is part of SBI who also makes Osburn and Drolet stoves. Those are good solid, stoves; not many complaints that I can recall.

When you do the install, it is highly recommended to use an insulated liner. Don't forget a block-off plate for maximum heat retention: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/And if the fireplace is at an exterior wall, insulation around it may also help: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/

Status
Not open for further replies.