Wood insert suggestions and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nate0918

Sep 24, 2021
Keizer, Oregon
I've decided to go the path of an insert and was hoping for some suggestions based on my desires and a couple questions. I appreciate the help, I tried looking local but I just can't stand the used car salesman-like pitches... This will be for a masonry fireplace in my partially finished basement/family room with the main goal of providing heat for that area(approx 1800 sqft). I have a gas furnace for the house that provides partial heat to the basement already.

Fireplace size: 35"width x 26.875" tall x 22" deep
Desires:
-Automatic start of some kind(stuff wood in, push a button, walk away)
-Quality blower(good volume, whisper quiet)
-cord wood fuel
-meets EPA regs enough to get the rebate
-something with a bit more style than the generic rectangular window or top arch. The double doors of the Osburn Stratford 2 looks nice but not the right application for me.

I grew up with wood stoves and the novelty of the starting-a-fire ritual has worn off. My kids are not old enough yet for me to pass the torch(pun intended), thus the automatic start desire. Please let me know if there is any more info that I can provide.

Questions:
-Does the 26% rebate cover the install of the electrical for the 120v outlet needed for the blower?
-What options exist for an automatic start function?
20211102_200029-jpg.287415

The Osburn Stratford II is a ZC fireplace. Are you asking about an insert to go in an existing masonry fireplace or a Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace like the Stratford?

Sounds like you are looking for an insert with green start technology like the Lopi flush series. Green start is sort of an automatic start type thing, I have never used this just seen videos of it. Honestly I don't know that that will walk away until its burning well and lighting a top down fire with good wood is pretty quick and simple. As far as double doors I personally would prefer to avoid them it takes away from the fire view and its 2 sets of doors seals compared to one. One thing to look at it is the firebox dimensions, if you are buying wood you want to make sure what is available will fit the firebox without too much wasted space. If you are looking at full time heating I would recommend north south loading its much easier and faster to reload. I had a Lopi Freedom the trapezoidal shape fire box and logs constantly rolling into the door drove me nuts.
https://www.lopistoves.com/products/wood/wood-fireplace-inserts/

Based on your list have you considered a pellet insert? Wood stoves are not set it and forget it heaters. Even with a top down fire I light and close the door then have to adjust several air times
and that is not always consistent depending on fuel load wind outdoor temp.

I am looking for an insert for an existing masonry fireplace. The reference to the Osburn was purely for the aesthetic comparison. I'm sure that I will need to give in a little on my desires but I wanted to put out the perfect scenario and give where I must. I would like to stick with a cord wood fueled insert, I realize that some babysitting will still be required but I want to minimize it as much as possible.

Green start, sounds great so far. Is this something that can be installed independently in any stove or does it come preinstalled in certain models only? I googled it and the green start seems to be randomly smattered around different models, I couldn't find a definitive list. Any other easy start options?

Thank you for the experience on the Lopi stove, I did do research on this site and will make sure to match the wood cut length with the insert. I imagine what I will be sacrificing most on is the aesthetics. It seems that all the inserts look the same the more I see. I like a lot of the zero clearance fireplaces I see but again, wrong application. I really like this one https://icc-rsf.com/fireplace/rsf/opel-2-plus/

How about my questions on the EPA rebate coverage on the electrical? Anyone ran into this?

The green start is only available on Lopi and Fireplace Xtrodinair both owned both Travis Industies I'm not sure if anyone has a similar system. Quadrafire Epedition2 does has an automatic combustion control, load the stove, set the ACC, light the fire and sthe stove takes over.
As far as the double door look I can't think of any newer inserts with them. There were lots in the early 80's but I never paid much attention to them. Check out Quadrafire and Xtrodinair along with regencey they maybe closer to thee look you are after.

Yes, this is currently pretty much exclusive territory for Lopi.
FYI, double-doors on woodstoves are passé. Manufacturers have eliminated them.

I would stay away from double doors myself...

I would also stay away from any stove that is going to "control the air flow" other then a very few. Do a search on here for the ACC control and you will see many how more issues with it then it actually helps.

There are no wood stoves that you just load a bunch of wood then walk away and it just magically works. Those are called furnaces.
Some are more finicky then others but all require at least some use control during start up.

I would also recommend getting one with a fan that is adjustable. My fan is super loud at max speed, but at the speed I usually have it running I can barely hear it.

All that said, I load my stove up then after 10-15 minutes it gets shut down and runs for hours with no adjustment till I reload once its burned down to coals. But I still have to be there to adjust it once it warms up.