Wood Insert Suggestions Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gandalf

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I have a quite small fireplace that provides "ambiance" when fired, a source of cold drafts when not fired and a place to hang Christmas stockings. It does little else. Novel idea: I actually want to get some heat out of the thing. I've been thinking about getting a wood insert and having a stainless steel liner installed (inside the terra cotta flue? at least I can see a section of terra cotta sticking out the top of the chimney.)

Anyway, the fireplace opening is 30 inches wide by about 25 inches high (that gives me barely any play to think of needing access between the top of the insert and underneath the top of the fireplace opening (access to the insert vent/flue for installation). About 3.5 inches into the fireplace, the sides quickly taper inward, and the upper back of the fireplace has a heavy slant towards the front of the fireplace. It's about 12 inches from the front of the fireplace to the back (top of the slant) at the top of the fireplace opening. I found what I thought was a bargain on a Drolet Escape 1400-I, but quickly realized it wasn't going to work without modifying the fireplace (easier said than done). At least I was able to resell the insert for about 40% markup. Made it worth the distance I had to haul it.

Anyone have ideas of an insert that might work, or is there a better option like a door/fan that could be used to close the fireplace and basically turn it into a stove?

Chilly in PA

The fire box you describe sounds almost exactly like mine. I ended up with a Country 210 insert. These are a Lennox hearth product. This is the 3rd country I have purchased, I really like the simplicity of operation. The only thing you may not like is the possible hearth depth. Mine sticks out about 9" on to the hearth, in order to meet code I need to add a good amount of tile or brick.

With the 9-inch protrusion onto the hearth, it looks like I'd need to extend my hearth another 9-10 inches just to meet the US 16-inch minimum clearance requirement...does look like a possibility though. The Avalon Pendleton insert would nearly work, but I would still need to extend the hearth 1-2 inches.

We had some issues with space/clearances as well and ended out with a Regency I1200 insert. It has a depth requirement of 13.75", so might still be to big without further modifications, but it something to check out. It's way better than the open fireplace its replaced, but you shouldn't really expect it to heat your whole house, unless it's really small.

Good luck!

gandalf said:
With the 9-inch protrusion onto the hearth, it looks like I'd need to extend my hearth another 9-10 inches just to meet the US 16-inch minimum clearance requirement...does look like a possibility though. The Avalon Pendleton insert would nearly work, but I would still need to extend the hearth 1-2 inches.

I believe US code has recently been changed to 18". You might need an 11-12" extension.

Yes we will be doing a hearth re-build in the spring to extend it. To be some what safer we are using wool rug on the floor to protect from stray sparks Etc. The regulation is at least 16" from the face of the stove where the door meets the front. I still believe that the hearth extension is worth the heat output of the Country 210. The fireplace the OP described is very close to ours, I bet the 210 would fit like a glove.

gandalf, lots of questions so that we can better understand what will work well for you here. How large an area will you be heating? Is this an open floor plan or is the room closed off from the rest of the house? Do you plan on running the stove nights and weekends or 24/7? How much are you budgeting for the whole installation including stove?

Also, have you considered a hearth mounted stove instead of an insert?

If it were me I would either hire a mason to modify the fireplace so a bigger insert could fit, this is quite possible if it is an exterior fireplace. Otherwise I would put in a hearth stove. That is me though I almost use wood exclusively all winter long. I hate when the electric furnace kicks on I can see the dollars adding up in my head. If you are planning on occasional use than a small insert should be fine you just won't get the long burn times of a bigger insert.

A Pacific Energy Vista Insert fit nicely in my small fireplace and has a flush front so I didn't have to extend the hearth. It's easy to use and throws a lot of heat for its size. It doesn't heat the whole house but does a nice job on the first floor (950 sf) with some of the heat finding its way upstairs to the second floor (also 950 sf). I burn evenings and weekends, so wasn't looking a stove that would hold a fire overnight. It needs a fp that is at least 23 1/2 inches wide, 20 inches high and 15 inches deep. It should fit in your fp. You might even get the PE Super Insert in there, which is a medium-sized insert designed for shallower fp's. It needs a fp that is 24 by 21 by 18 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.