Wood Insert to chimney liner connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon

Nov 28, 2012
Hi All,

Long time lurker....

I have just installed a SBI CW2500 insert with an insulated SS liner. The liner connects into a SS connector and that then slips into the insert.

Do both those joints require a high temp sealer? Can't find any info on that exact question and I've done a ton of googling. The install instruction's didn't mention it either. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Seems strange to me that they connect that way instead of being inside each other in the flow of smokes path. Or does once the draft gets going it doesn't matter?

Thanks for your help.

Do both those joints require a high temp sealer? Can't find any info on that exact question and I've done a ton of googling. The install instruction's didn't mention it either. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Nope. Not required, but many will seal those areas anyway.

Seems strange to me that they connect that way instead of being inside each other in the flow of smokes path. Or does once the draft gets going it doesn't matter?

The pieces fit inside each other from top to bottom so that any creosote will run down the inside of the pipe.

Don't think of smoke flow when you think of the way one pipe fits in another, as the pipe is under vacuum, not pressure. Instead, think of the flow of rain water and condensation carrying creosote down the inside of the pipe, and then you'll understand why they go the direction they do.

The vacuum drawing smoke up the pipe is also why sealant is often not used, as any small leaks are inclined to draw room air, rather than blow smoke. I've seen some installs where sealant is used, and more where it is not, and hope someone here can explain why.

Wow, I don't think I've ever gotten such quick responses on a forum!

Thanks for your replies...I didn't think of the creosote dripping down but now it makes perfect sense. I have some high temp sealant already but if it's not required I will not bother. Also didn't think of the pipes being under pressure as opposed to the flow of water.

I had installed the connector into the stove with some sealant last week. I just removed the stove to finish off the install of my blocking plate. The sealant that was there didn't seem to last that well after only a week.

Thanks again and have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.