Wood Inserts - BTU ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with lobsta, AND the hearth depth looks to be at a minimum. if you are keeping the carpet as is, i would consider the loading orientation of your stoves that you are looking at. that is if the hearth depth is sufficient, nonetheless, if there is a chance for EW loaded logs to roll out, they will, and you will be dancing around to keep the carpet from melting. I would go with the PE (biased opinion) for the NS loading alone vs the two door Jotels.

Just glanced at your pictures. I see you have a young child. Have you considered what you are going to place around the insert so that she doesn't accidently get burned?

Just thought I'd bring safety up. These inserts get extremely hot and can cause serious burns. :ahhh:

I'll second what people are saying about loading. My stove is the Revere and it loads both ways. I only use N/S loading because you can see where you are loading AND the logs wont roll out. My first few weeks I had the stove I was trying the other way (E/W) because people were saying that you could get longer burn times. It didn't work out because a lot of times when your trying to get that last log in, it ends up on the hearth or floor. I've got tile on my floor so it doesn't harm it. If I had carpet then I wouldn't even consider it. Not only that, but when you get the stove don't try to burn little chunks where you had to chop off the end of a log to make it fit. They are the most unstable things once they get burning good. I never really considered my kids touching the insert but I guess some do. I've got a 3 & 6 yr old and they both have never considered it. If they did, it would only be once. Make sure you put a blockoff plate in at the top of the firebox. Right up there where it turns into a small rectangle. I've heard lots of good things about the PE too. In the end it really is up to the wife. Happy wife, happy life! :)

madison said:
that is if the hearth depth is sufficient, nonetheless, if there is a chance for EW loaded logs to roll out, they will, and you will be dancing around to keep the carpet from melting. I would go with the PE (biased opinion) for the NS loading alone vs the two door Jotels.

probably a stupid question, but why can't you load all stove NS? Why couldn't I load the Jotul NS?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.