Wood making comeback as power source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacPB

Oct 16, 2008
CNY
I say it's another good reason to get a few years ahead. I can see this driving up prices on wood, pellets, etc...

Wood making comeback as power source

One of the world's oldest energy sources is making a comeback.
Across the USA, power plants are turning to wood to make electricity. The move is spurred by state mandates to encourage renewable power and by bills moving through Congress that require more renewable electricity nationwide.

Wood power's rise is "meteoric," says William Perritt, editor of Wood Biomass Market Report. One wood-burning plant started up in 2007, seven in 2008 and a dozen in 2009, he says.

Dozens more are on the drawing board. That includes three 100-megawatt plants, scheduled to start in 2012 that together would crank out enough juice to power up to 270,000 homes.

In 2008, wood-burning power plants were capable of generating roughly 6,700 megawatts or enough to provide power to about 6 million homes, according to the Energy Department. That includes, however, plants that supply power to wood-products factories that use waste wood to generate electricity.

Many plants now burn bark, twigs and other waste wood. If wood power grows as expected, whole trees will have to be cut down to fuel the plants, says Pete Stewart of Forest2Market, a forest-industry analysis firm.

Plants have promised to use waste wood, but "as soon as they get their permit and see how much it's going to cost to do that, they change their tune," he says. Stewart says it is generally more expensive to build a wood-burning plant than one powered by coal or natural gas.

Some environmentalists fear that the rise of wood power could devastate forests.

As the industry expands, "it's going to move quickly from waste wood to wood chips," says Scot Quaranda of the Dogwood Alliance, a forest-protection group. That would lead to "more large-scale clear-cutting, more conversion of natural forest to plantations and more endangered forests being logged," he says.

Bob Cleaves of the Biomass Power Association, an industry group, says that current laws and policies are sufficient to protect the environment.

Examples of the growth of this back-to-the-future fuel:

• A Tacoma, Wash., plant that opened in August burns leftovers from a neighboring paper mill. The power plant "takes advantage of a resource … that's being created anyway," says Paul Copleman of Iberdrola Renewables, which oversees delivery of the power to Sacramento.

• An Alexandria, N.H., plant reopened in January after being idle for 14 years. It sends its power throughout New England.

• A plant in Kenansville, N.C., was converted from burning coal to burning wood. It reopened in 2009 and sells its power to one of the state's largest utilities.

• A Snowflake, Ariz., plant burns dead trees from a nearby national forest to make power. "There are a lot of forests that need to be trimmed to protect them from wildfire," says plant manager Garry Stevens, and it "makes sense" to burn the trees weeded out.

Wood is especially attractive as a renewable fuel in the South, says Cleaves. Southern states lack ample sun or wind power, but they have broad stretches of forest and many paper and timber mills that generate waste wood.

Another plus: wood-burning boilers can churn out a steady supply of electricity. Solar power is only made when the sun shines, and windmills turn only when the wind blows.

Meh...not good IMHO. I can only imagine what would happen to my wood supply if a local operation started up. Wood is the one source of energy the 'average' individual still has access to at relatively low or no cost when the conditions are right. A few big corporations could easily drain that supply or drive the price up just like ever other source of energy.

I like the article as my project got mentioned (the one in NC). Unfortunately until the new carbon legislation is passed, biomass is currently getting nailed by low cost Gas cogeneration plants. Once there is carbon legislation, I expect it will get competitive again as it wont get taxed for its emmisions.

The company I work for put in a huge biomass boiler that burns byproducts of the wood products industry that would otherwise be waste. This waste was either land filled or burned as large slash piles in the bush. It burns much cleaner in the boiler than it did in the bush. AFAIK, there is not much additional harvesting to feed it but it does divert some of the wood that might otherwise be sold as firewood. Harvesters used to set aside some of the wood the mills wouldn't take and sell it to guys with grapple trucks as firewood. Some of them now chip it up as bio-fuel instead since they have the chipping equipment already and sell us the quality chips for pulp and paper making.

This is part of the wood supply for a biomass burning plant in Austria. I had to take a picture, as it was the biggest pile of firewood I had ever seen! The logs are all about 8 feet long, and you only see one row...there are 3 more behind it!

Enjoy

Attachments

• P9261630-1.jpg
    P9261630-1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.