wood moisture question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard

Sep 17, 2008
central maine
looking for some help i am in the process of installing a eko-40 with 500 gallon storage the wood i will be burning was cut in june and split and stacked in woodshed in september of this year are there any adjustments that can be made on the air controles to make it perform? thanks dave

bernard said:
looking for some help i am in the process of installing a eko-40 with 500 gallon storage the wood i will be burning was cut in june and split and stacked in woodshed in september of this year are there any adjustments that can be made on the air controles to make it perform? thanks dave

I don't know about the air controls, but I'd STRONGLY consider getting a load of fully seasoned wood as well. You'll need dry wood to get it started, but you can burn a mix of dry and partly seasoned pretty well once it's going.

What kind of wood do you have? Some wood takes longer than others to dry. In any event, green wood cut and stacked in September isn't going to work well without some dry to mix in. It may not work at all - only experimentation will tell.

thanks nofossil i do have some seasoned wood to mix in i will give that a try the green wood is beech rock maple and ash thanks for the advice

In my experience ash dries very quickly. Was all the wood cut green or were you thinning dead stuff? If it was dead in June, I would think some of it would be burnable this winter. I would have at least a cord or two of dry stuff on hand though. Nothing stinks more than trying to start a fire with would that just doesn't want to gasify!

If there's any way to keep the wood warm over the next month or two, you'll see significantly more drying. As it is, beech and hard maple cut in June is probably not dry enough to work well in an EKO 40, though if you get a good fire going with dry wood, you might get away with burning it. I agree on the ash. That should be your starter wood. These boilers seem more forgiving of higher moisture content at higher temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.