Wood options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snydley

Mar 7, 2008
Dansville NY (upstate)
Hi Guys and gals,
I'm a newbie here, just installed a Vermont Castings Resolute this past Jan. in my 960 sq. ft. home. It's working out exceptionally well, my only wish is that the firebox was somewhat bigger so that my overnight burns were a little longer.
Anyway, my question is what are the various types of wood you burn? I've been buying 3 face cord loads of "seasoned" firewood from a couple different people and I've found that there is as much green as there is seasoned in it. I haven't yet found a reliable source.
I have seen the picture on here of the Tri-axle loads of wood, and I'm afraid I don't have the health, (I have a heart condition), or space for that much wood. A friend of mine told me about "slab" wood from a saw mill that he gets, and also "chunk" wood from there. I'm thinking that might be a good option for me.
What are the various types of wood you guys burn?
Thanks,
Snyde

I know people that burn slab wood with good results...it's real inexpensive like about $15 a truck load. In a small house like yours it would be a good option. Oh you have to pack it tight so it doesn't overfire and burn too fast...or when you're home just throw in a few pieces and burn hot.

I am suprised coming from upstate NY you cant find a local guy to sell you wood. However, saying that, I trust nobody when it comes to buying "dry wood". I really think each person should take it upon themselves to think ahead and get your wood at least 12 months in advance so that you know its dry. Fo that size house, you should only burn like 2-3 cord tops per year. you definatly dont need a triaxle load. and definatly get split wood, it will cost you more but get split green wood

Adirondackwoodburner makes a lot sense...don't buy your wood in the fall and expect it be seasoned. Buy it now.

I agree. Whatever you do, get that wood seasoned. Buy early. Never buy when you need it or you will have problems and will not get the heat from the wood you burn.

Perhaps you could find an ambitious young lad in your neighborhood to stack the wood or even split some?

Buy in the spring and split it. At least you get 6 months or so of drying time before you need to use it. Stacked properly in wind and sun, most wood is not too bad, especially if the guy who sold it to you had seasoned it for a few months. Oak needs longer but maple will be pretty good.

<<Ive been buying 3 face cord loads of seasoned firewood >>

Well, there are different definitions of "seasoned". To a serious wood burner, "seasoned" means that it was split a year or two.

To a SELLER, seasoned means that it doesn't have green leaves on it. At a minimum, the leaves should be wilted for a seller to call it "seasoned".

It's kind of like the time I called up for an ad in the paper. I asked how big of a load it was and the gal told me "oh it's a big load, the truck has a lot of gears". :-(

Ken

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I am suprised coming from upstate NY you cant find a local guy to sell you wood. However, saying that, I trust nobody when it comes to buying "dry wood". I really think each person should take it upon themselves to think ahead and get your wood at least 12 months in advance so that you know its dry. Fo that size house, you should only burn like 2-3 cord tops per year. you definatly dont need a triaxle load. and definatly get split wood, it will cost you more but get split green wood
I never said I "cant find a local guy to sell you wood". What I said was I'm new at this, had 2 loads delivered so far, (since the middle of Jan., 5 face cords total), and I'm less than satisfied with what I've gotten. What was supposed to be "seasoned" hardwood, turned out to have alot of green wood/partially seasoned wood in it. I will definitely do things differently next season, that's why I'm writing asking what other people burn. I know enough not to order from these guys again, but I'm looking for all alternatives. My next step is to go to the local sawmill and see if they sell, and what kind of wood they sell to people to burn in their stoves. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative than to buy from people selling face cords of "seasoned" hardwood for $65./cord, only to find it's still partially green.

snydley said:
Hi Guys and gals,
I'm a newbie here, just installed a Vermont Castings Resolute this past Jan. in my 960 sq. ft. home. It's working out exceptionally well, my only wish is that the firebox was somewhat bigger so that my overnight burns were a little longer.
Anyway, my question is what are the various types of wood you burn? I've been buying 3 face cord loads of "seasoned" firewood from a couple different people and I've found that there is as much green as there is seasoned in it. I haven't yet found a reliable source.
I have seen the picture on here of the Tri-axle loads of wood, and I'm afraid I don't have the health, (I have a heart condition), or space for that much wood. A friend of mine told me about "slab" wood from a saw mill that he gets, and also "chunk" wood from there. I'm thinking that might be a good option for me.
What are the various types of wood you guys burn?
Thanks,
Snyde

Let me know where you live, I know good dealers. Looking for another stove, I have a big used one for sale.
Burn mixed hardwoods around Western New York.

Don't feel bad, I called for 1 cord of 16 inch firewood & they told me there won't be any until Sept or oct? :eek:hh:

ROYJ24 said:
Don't feel bad, I called for 1 cord of 16 inch firewood & they told me there won't be any until Sept or oct? :eek:hh:

Is that when it will be seasoned....or when they will cut it?

Ken

Around here much of the slab wood is used in maple syrup production. It's a cheaper wood that many small mills have trouble getting rid of. But it still has to be cut to size in lenght and often in width so still requires a fair amount of labor, and storage. Have you considered pellets?

snydley said:
Hi Guys and gals,
Snyde

For minimum effort and price (if not free) you could go with a hard slab wood. Cut it and stack it and you are done. As far as the chunk wood, typically around here anyhow the chunks are often jinormous in size and often "y's" or very notty. Heavy to lift and hard to split. For those reasons alone chunk probably wouldn't be the way for you to go with a bum ticker.

woodconvert said:
snydley said:
Hi Guys and gals,
Snyde

For minimum effort and price (if not free) you could go with a hard slab wood. Cut it and stack it and you are done. As far as the chunk wood, typically around here anyhow the chunks are often jinormous in size and often "y's" or very notty. Heavy to lift and hard to split. For those reasons alone chunk probably wouldn't be the way for you to go with a bum ticker.

Yes, I think maybe the slab hardwood is what I want to check into. Do I go to a sawmill to inquire about it? We have a couple of them in the area. I've got a chainsaw, and I'd be ok to cut it to length as long as I take it easy and don't push myself too much.

Yes, I think maybe the slab hardwood is what I want to check into. Do I go to a sawmill to inquire about it? We have a couple of them in the area. I've got a chainsaw, and I'd be ok to cut it to length as long as I take it easy and don't push myself too much.

Yes, start tracking down all the closest sawmills in your area. Contact them and see if they will let you cut off their stack or help you load it so you can cut it at home. Keep in mind that a sawmill produces slab wood by the boat load per day. It's a nuisance to them unless they use it for heat....so, IF you have to pay.....don't pay much. Also, if they will let you pick through the pile, brush up on your wood species identification so you can get the best of what is available.

For what it's worth, I have seen an add in our local paper (usually in the spring/early summer) by our local saw mill...."slab wood FREE".

Ken45 said:
ROYJ24 said:

Is that when it will be seasoned....or when they will cut it?

Ken

Yes, I just hope their idea of seasoned is the same as my :question: :eek:hh:

ROYJ24 said:
Yes, I just hope their idea of seasoned is the same as my :question: :eek:hh:

Now you are fantasizing!

Be careful, they may just add some salt and pepper for seasoning!

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.