Wood Pellet Co. ( C & C Smith) pellets...any opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just curious if anyone has burned these....if so, any opinions?

Supposed to be all hardwood, (no Poplar, Basswod, or bark), and I can get them right now for $255/ton near Middletown, NY.

Another place farther up the road in Liberty, NY will have them on early buy for April at $250, along with Allegheny and NEWP. But driving costs to get them would probably eat up the $5 savings......the place that has them for $255 is about 20 min. from me vs. 1 Hr.

What say ye pelletheads??

mac,

I tested them and like them. Not a number one but not bad. You can check out my test for the numbers I got. Only issue I saw was some long pellets in the mix. But that is supposed to be corrected.

As always YMMV!

I used them all of last season. heat out put was not bad like jtakeman said there were some long pellets but had no issues with them. some bags had a little more ash them others but I would burn them again.

I just piced up 4 bags to try this past Friday. Will let you know what I think.

$230 @ ton vs BF's - $275 @ ton.

Had three tons come with the stove when I purchased it and had no problems at all. Purchased an additional 4 tons last summer for $290.00 a ton and have gone thru almost three ton this winter with no problems. Ash isn't bad, I clean the ash and wash the glass twice a week. Will most likely shop for a better price this summer for some of the higher rated pellets from this group. If I can get these for the somewhere in the $250.00 range, I would purchase again. Long pellets are and issue for some but my stove doesn't seem to care. Have had one auger jam but don't think it was from a long pellet.

I'm burning them now. So far so good. They lit right up, damper was closed, and the glass is still relatively clean. Seems to be a bit more ash tho.

I tried the BF's and fought with the stove for 3 /12 bags. After the initial ignition, it would not light them the next time. What a PITA!! I guess my cheap little stove just doesn't like them. I liked them a lot, for the very little ash content.

I like the Wood Pellet Co pellets. Not a whole lot of ash.

Now for the question..........I started these yesterday about 10:30. Burned all day, stove cycled on and off and they lit fine. Some time in the night, the burn pot filled up and they did NOT ignite! Do you have any thoughts on this? The stove and chimney was thoroughly cleaned yesterday am before I started the pellets.
This is the stove that would not ignite the Barefoots after the initial ignition.

I just cleaned it now and the WPC's ignited fine.

I'm baffled right now. Not to mention it is costing me Propane $$ and that is ticking me off! LOL

twojrts said:
I like the Wood Pellet Co pellets. Not a whole lot of ash.

Now for the question..........I started these yesterday about 10:30. Burned all day, stove cycled on and off and they lit fine. Some time in the night, the burn pot filled up and they did NOT ignite! Do you have any thoughts on this? The stove and chimney was thoroughly cleaned yesterday am before I started the pellets.
This is the stove that would not ignite the Barefoots after the initial ignition.

I just cleaned it now and the WPC's ignited fine.

I'm baffled right now. Not to mention it is costing me Propane $$ and that is ticking me off! LOL

IMO, since you now have had issues with the stove igniting 2 different brands of pellets, I would be suspecting the stove. You don't say what kind of stove you have (good idea to put it in your signature line so nobody has to ask again), so it's hard to say what the problem might be. I had no problem with the Wood Pellet Co pellets igniting at night on the stat, nor with ANY pellet I've ever burned for that matter......and that's including a different stove than I have now too.

I called my dealer this morning, the guy who sold it to me was out on a service call. The one I spoke with said it sounded like a possible ignitor problem to him.
I have thougt that for a good while. It works, but I just think maybe it isn't working to it's full potential. I'm waiting for a return phone call.

Will let you know what they say. There is no reason it shouldn't light any of the pellets.

Well, I got an answer. He said that because these pellets are quick burning, that on a lower setting, the fire gets too low and the pot fills up and smothers what is still burning or the coals. He said if the ignitor wasn't working to it's full potential, it wouldn't ignite at all. He said to try buring it on a higher setting. I've been burning on 3 and have moved it up to 4. He does have a customer with the same FP35 and she can not burn the Hammers at all.

It makes sense, but..........For some reason, I just can't wrap my mind around that.

twojrts said:
Well, I got an answer. He said that because these pellets are quick burning, that on a lower setting, the fire gets too low and the pot fills up and smothers what is still burning or the coals. He said if the ignitor wasn't working to it's full potential, it wouldn't ignite at all. He said to try buring it on a higher setting. I've been burning on 3 and have moved it up to 4. He does have a customer with the same FP35 and she can not burn the Hammers at all.

It makes sense, but..........For some reason, I just can't wrap my mind around that.

IMO, it's time for a new dealer. He's giving you a lot of BS because the stove either isn't all he said it would be, or he simply has no idea what the problem is. Did YOU speak to this "other customer" yourself to confirm the inability to burn Hamers??

And since you've moved the heat setting to 4, has it made any difference?

Another question....when the stove fails to ignite pellets, does the control board give you an error code?

Just got home and it has cycled off and on since almost noon time. The control board gives me an "L" code when it does not ignite.

1. Air damper open too far for ignition.........it is closed all the way.
2. Blockage in igniter tube or inlet for igniter tube. ....was vacuumed out this am.
3. Bad igniter element.........?? how do you check this?
4. The termistor heat sensor has malfunctioned......
5. Control board is not sending power to the igniter......It comes on and gets a HOT glow that I can see.
6 Burn pot gaskets are missing or have to be replaced........not that, learned early on they are VERY necessary.

The above are listed under the "L" code.

ok, stove is going to cycle back on right now..........hang on and we'll see if it lights. Finally after almost 10 mins, it ignited. I did move some pellets out of the way by the igniter. I shouldn't have to do that.

oh, and NO I didn't speak to this customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.