Wood Pellets - Cold or Warm Up before use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just topped off my hopper with a 40# bag from my 17 degree garage, Apprx 3/4 of bag in hopper at the time. Guessing that the17 degree pellet will be pretty warm when it finds its way to the pot. It's 10 out right now with a wind chill of -10, I will burn ice cubes if it will keep me warm:oops:

Try putting them next to her!.....

images

If I had her i wouldn't need no stinkin pellet stove.To keep warm.

Reactions: CT Pellet
Reactions: shtrdave
OK, I am here to settle this once and for all!
I will take some pellets out of my freezer and place them in the hopper of the running stove.
After that, I will reach into the fire and have the frozen pellets drop into my hands to see if they are still cold.

Be Right Back!

Bill

chit that hurt!
And the results are in...

I think they were warm still.

Picture to prove it

BurntHand-portfolio1.jpg

CAn't believe that will711 hasn't turned this into a beer thread yet?​
LOL. Me too ;)
You know....a joke about a bottle of beer, or a couple of cans or something!

Well, we FOUND THE CAUSE OF CSS!!!!! COLD PELLETS!!! :p:p

Someone had to say it, for goodness sake!!!!

I dont think thats what he meant at all Don? A cold pellet will be warm Long before it hits the pot. Even if it isn't, that Fire (1,000°-1,700°) isnt gonna care about a 40° pellet? I think he was getting at Maines choice being Sub par pellet and you could stand to buy a hotter pellet if you wanted more heat? Also, wasn't that DT supposed to help the clumping ash problem? Did it?

Hi Dexter

It does take more energy to burn a cold and maybe damp pellet. Would you put cold and wet wood into your wood stove?

Anyway, yes the DT helps tremendously with the clump caked ash in the burn pot. There is far less of that now.

However when I put the cold pellets from the garage into the stove, I did get more ash into the burnpot. I am not saying I get MORE ash with cold pellets but the ash is staying in the burn pot with cold pellets and not getting as much heat out as I should.

I took the last dozen bags from the garage and put them into the basement. Now the stove can run for much more than a day because there is no ash build up in the bottom of the burnpot.

I am also going to get a better pellet when these are gone.

I prefer loading up my hopper with cold, fresh from garage pellets when I am burning Hamers, and keeping it topped off. I think it helps preventing the damn high temp hopper switch from tripping !!

Reactions: PoolGuyinCT
It does take more energy to burn a cold and maybe damp pellet
Don....Forget about the "Cold" bit for a minute. Yes, in essence, wet pellets will not burn as hot as dry pellets. Namely because with the dryer pellets, more of the "stored energy" in the wood will be able to be converted to "heat energy", thus resulting in a hotter burn. But, the difference that you are talking about with cold pellets vs warm pellets is not even really measurable in the combustion equation. (Fuel)+O2---> CO2+H20+ Energy (heat, light and sound !)
To say that the cold pellets will affect the heat output is like saying that when you swim in the ocean, you raise the global sea level. Yeah, technically correct, but not to the point that you will feel it.

Hello

I made the mistake of dumping in a couple of cold bags of wood pellets in the cold garage. Approx 40 Degs. The heat was not so hot and more ash in the burn pot!

So is the best way to Warm the Moose? Maine's choice in this case. LOL

Do warm pellets produce hotter heat?

See pic
No.

Did some one say something about Beer and pretty women:cool:

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Do warm pellets produce hotter heat

Yes they do!!! here is why...a warm pellet will expand and become bigger ..and BIGGER is not only better its much hotter. I only use 1/4 the pellets to heat my house and at times I have to remove pellets from my hopper or it will bend my lid!!_g also it has made hardwood pellets into softwood too

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Yes they do!!! here is why...a warm pellet will expand and become bigger ..and BIGGER is not only better its much hotter. I only use 1/4 the pellets to heat my house and at times I have to remove pellets from my hopper or it will bend my lid!!_g also it has made hardwood pellets into softwood too

smiley-confused005.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.