Wood Pellets in Central Iowa?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crouse77

Hearth Supporter
Jan 3, 2007
Des Moines, IA
Does anyone know where I can get wood pellets in Central Iowa? I live in Des Moines and I just got a Breckwell Big E. I only know of one place that sells Pellets and I'm not sure if the price is good or not.

I would try the farm supply stores like Tractor Service Supply, Menards. You will probably have to go to the outskirts of DesMoines to find them if you are right in the middle of town. Lowes sells pellet stove so maybe there as well.

Try the Feed/Grain stores as well
as Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes.
Here, all of the above carry them.
Pricing can vary greatly in different
parts of the Country.
Might want to give a holler on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pelletstove/
to see if anyone in your area has pricing
details.

have you tried all of the farm and feed stores yet? Sutherlands, Orchelands, Tractor Supply. these as well as the major DIY stores should have pellets... now price is indicative of availability.. I have seen the price average at about $250 a ton or $5 a bag, but then again I am on the east coast.

agreeded with Orchelands, Tractor Supply farm stores , In Nebraska Pellets have been around $210.oo per ton at these two stores. ($190.00 per ton in July pre ordering )

I would get just enough to get through this winter and wait for next summer to price pellets again , with less demand this winter the prices might be cheaper in the up coming Summer.

Right now for me Natural Gas is cheaper than what the cost of pellets are.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'll keep checking
I checked around and Menards (local hardware store) has about the cheapest in town at $3.99 per 40#. I get get it for $3.58 a bag in Ames, but that's about a 30 to 40 minute drive. I only bought 6 bags last time I was up there and they were 10% off of the $3.58. If I knew then what I know now I would have stocked up. I would have to buy a lot for the savings to pay for my gas to drive up there and haul them home now.
I'm still trying to figure out how much I'll need, but I should get a good idea in a week or so. I've only had the stove installed for a couple days now.

Why are you burning pellets in the heart of corn country? At the very least a healthy mix of corn would save you some serious $$$$$. Corn has gone price stupid but it still beats pellets even in the NE. For those in the corn belt its all gravy pure and simple. Tractor supply or Wallmart should have them as does Sams though the last 2 just have them hit and miss. I suspect that one of the reasons for their being so few pellets available is due to everyone burning corn around your region. You should be able to get corn for half the price of pellets.

Where I bought the stove they had bags of corn and bags of pellets and pellets were cheaper. I'm sure I could buy bulk from a coop or something, but my guess is I can't just get a little bit at a time and I don't know how I would store a lot of loose corn. Let me know if I'm wrong. Maybe I should check around and find out where and how to get some corn. I've read you can mix a 3rd corn in with the pellets for my stove.

If you are into a little shoveling the price of the corn bulk should be a lot cheaper than pellets. Cheapest pellets here have been $4,99 at Tractor Supply since Nov which is $239/ton with $20 off for a ton. Cherry pits are 4.60 / bag. Its a trade off but if you have a pickup corn should be nearly half the price out where you are. That must be some expensive bagged corn you saw therein order for it to cost more than pellets. Check at your coop for the price of dry bagged stuff. You should pay under $200 for a ton of bagged there which is cheaper than the feedlot dusty crap we get here in the NE for that much and more. They would be the place I would look first for the best pellet price. Stay away from the specialty places if yo can and look in Lowes ( usually no bargain at all) Sams or Wallyworld. Neither of them have pellets most of the time so its hit or miss all the time. You really ought to look at the iburncorn.com site for specifics on how much of a corn mix you can get away with if you decide to choose that route. If you are going to do pellets next year its simple. BUY THEM ALL BY SEPT or you gonna get robbed. There is just no other way to say it. The same goes for corn for that matter based on this years prices. All the storage options in the world are covered on the iburncorn website.

I just bought a 1/2 ton of pellets yesterday. Menards had a sale for $3.58 per bag. 179 per ton seemed like a good price after calling around. I'm going to check into some corn to, but a lot of places want you to buy at least a ton.

I saw pellets at 3.99/bag (200/ton) and corn at 4.99/bag (250/ton) over the weekend at TSC. Obviously if you buy corn in bulk you'll be ahead of that. Although corn's up to 3.65 a bushel (about 55 lbs) on the CME, so maybe it's not sue much of a premium. it's all these damn ethanol mills they keep popping up.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.