Wood Piled Against House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my husband piled the wood up against the house. I told him this morning that it needs to be moved - it should not be piled against our house & it also should be stacked so that air is all around it. Im now enduring vicious name calling because hes angry. I may go outside in the rain and move the wood pile myself.
No way am I going to weigh in on a family dispute.
Once you get past that, the splits will dry better if they get adequate air flow, some sunshine and are top covered only, not covered enough tp reduce air flow. If you are willing to do the re-stacking, that might be your best solution. Whatever you do, wait until the splits have dried before you burn them.

So . . . has MtnHiker been back to tell us that either she has packed her bags . . . or that the wood was moved? ;) Actually, in all seriousness, I am a bit curious to find out what happened with the wood pile.

So my husband piled the wood up against the house. I told him this morning that it needs to be moved - it should not be piled against our house & it also should be stacked so that air is all around it. Im now enduring vicious name calling because hes angry. I may go outside in the rain and move the wood pile myself.

No problem if the wood is fully dried, looks messy though ( tarp ) and like critters ( nests and suprises )

bob

I store mine under my deck until it's time to burn
a6dcd876009f5eca42a8a98efcad2fa3.jpg

i ended up making a quick rack for easier access to the dried stuff that we will be burning in the next few weeks. Even though it looks like it is against the house, I put a piece of siding on the back side of it, and left some air gaps in the floor. Also, it gives me a little potting bench/spot to put my beer!20151220_145559.jpg
We also built a quick rack for the rest of it with a few 4x4, cinder blocks, and 2x4. took about 20 minutes to stack it all, 10 minutes to pick it up when it fell over since it was loaded too high, and 15 minutes to restack it!
20151225_142032.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.