Wood question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Last September I got a decent load of "Seasoned/cut in August" White Birch from a friend. It has been sitting in the direct sun and wind when the weather allows. I tarp it for bad weather and uncover it right after. I have been fortunate enough to start off with some REALLY good seasoned oak but it is starting to dwindle. I have been throwing on some of the birch on top of my hot oak coals. It catches quick with no hissing so far. Stove temps stay nice at 550. In fact the stove has one split on, and is at 500 and there is secondaries rolling along. The one difference from the oak is the light smoke I see coming from the chimney. I get no smoke from the oak. Will this build creosote? Is the wood okay to use on a good bed of coals?

I swear by the book of seasoned wood, but I am worried I may have to shut the stove down soon:) If that is the case I will.

If thats the only other wood you have, by all means, burn it!!!!

if you think you are making creosote, just go up and shine a light down your chimney if you get a warm day/and or let your fire go out sometime.

worst case scenario, you have to run the brush down your chimney once in a while.

I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from keeping warm!!!!

Do what you gotta do to keep the house warm bro. Knowing that your wood might not be up to par is half the battle. Inspect the stack frequently (like monthly) and sweep as needed. The creosote really only becomes dangerous with a build up. Don't let it build up. Running the stove a little hotter can also help.

FireAnt said:
Last September I got a decent load of "Seasoned/cut in August" White Birch from a friend. It has been sitting in the direct sun and wind when the weather allows. I tarp it for bad weather and uncover it right after. I have been fortunate enough to start off with some REALLY good seasoned oak but it is starting to dwindle. I have been throwing on some of the birch on top of my hot oak coals. It catches quick with no hissing so far. Stove temps stay nice at 550. In fact the stove has one split on, and is at 500 and there is secondaries rolling along. The one difference from the oak is the light smoke I see coming from the chimney. I get no smoke from the oak. Will this build creosote? Is the wood okay to use on a good bed of coals?

I swear by the book of seasoned wood, but I am worried I may have to shut the stove down soon:) If that is the case I will.

It seems to me that white birch is one of those species of trees that can season pretty quickly . . . if split and kept in a good windy, sunny area . . . but that may just be my impression . . . no scientific data to back this up.

Personally, I think you're doing the right thing . . . if there is no hissing or spitting of water and the wood catches quickly I think you're golden . . . heck, if this is your first year you're doing well . . . and even if there is a little bit of moisture in the birch, don't sweat it . . . burning as you describe would drive off any excess moisture. My advice . . . stay the course and keep doing what you are doing. You may try to not close the air control so much . . . see if that doesn't change the smoke condition.

That said, if the birch is not fully seasoned and excess moisture is being driven out (which you may be seeing with the smoke) you are burning a little less efficiently . . . but hey, if it's keeping you warm everything is hakuna matata. As others have said, just be sure to keep an eye on your chimney and clean it if necessary.

I say burn it even if it is not quite ready as long as you don't put too much in at one time. Sometimes you have to make do. Just be sure to keep an eye on the chimney.

I cut down some smallish white birches in late Oct. I'd be comfortable burning if I didn't have 4 cords still left in the barn.

As the others said, just keep an eye on things. If you're comfortable being up on the roof, maybe run a brush down the pipe on a warm day for a little piece of mind.

Thanks a lot guys! I live in a ranch that is not high at all. I go up all the time to check on things right now (No snow). My dad and I clean our chimneys all the time with fireplaces. I will keep an eye on things. It's a puff of smoke here and there. I am done... I love this stove, and I love wood heat. Wife does to.
I can't wait to get working on more wood. I am going stacking right now!

I burn white birch after 5 or 6 months with no problem. For your own piece of mind ck your chimney on a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.