Wood sellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We had to take a trip into the city today and I was amazed at how many places had a face cord of wood for sale. They stack it out by the roads between t-posts. I did not count (wish I had) so don't really know how many I saw.....but this I do know; of all the wood we saw for sale today only one was seasoned. The rest was all cut and split very recently.

Prices ranged from $40 to $65, which means $120-195 per cord.

It just never ceases to amaze me not only how many think they are going to sell firewood but also how many just go out and cut and then sell. I doubt any of them knows anything about seasoning wood. Nuts!

Its' that way every year buy it now because in januray it will still be just split. lol

Most buyers aren't discriminating enough to demanded truly seasoned wood anyway. At the end of the day, you have to fill the market's demand. Around here no one I know starts working on their wood a year ahead. I could put green face cords out right now and probably sell like gangbusters.

Most people won't pay a premium for truly seasoned wood. For 20% less money per cord they will burn 30% more cords of green wood. It boggles the mind.

LLigetfa said:
Most people won't pay a premium for truly seasoned wood. For 20% less money per cord they will burn 30% more cords of green wood. It boggles the mind.

This my friend is a FACT!

LLigetfa said:

I think it's that and most weekend/fireplace burners who buy face cords on the side of the road don't know what seasoned wood is. When I bought a face cord last year for my fireplace I had to call a bunch of different places till I found one that had "decent" wood, I called one guy who advertised "seasoned" like they all do, I asked when it was split he said a couple weeks ago. "The wood sizzles a little bit but I've been burning it and it burns great" Needless to say I didn't buy his wood.

rdust said:
LLigetfa said:

I think it's that and most weekend/fireplace burners who buy face cords on the side of the road don't know what seasoned wood is. When I bought a face cord last year for my fireplace I had to call a bunch of different places till I found one that had "decent" wood, I called one guy who advertised "seasoned" like they all do, I asked when it was split he said a couple weeks ago. "The wood sizzles a little bit but I've been burning it and it burns great" Needless to say I didn't buy his wood.

Yeah, that seems to be the mantra for most wood sellers--"yes, it will burn--therefore it's 'seasoned'." Never mind that it puts off practically no heat and that it fills your chimney with creosote, if it burns it's good to go.........

NP

Any sellers out there in our forum? I'm not talking about selling an extra 2 or 5 cord/season, but someone who sells 100's - a true seller.

There are (Les wood Co) I think. But I am sure he is busting his tail right now delivering...

I imagine they sell to those who start worrying about a wood supply around about the same time they start looking for where they used the leaf rake last last year.

Capitalism at it's finest. Ain't life great.
Ed

I have not sold wood for roughly ten years. I used to sell 300-500 full cords a year. The market was such that I could sell every stick of green wood I cut. In the fall I could have sold seasoned wood 2 to 1 compared to green. Due to time and financial restraints I rarely had over 50 cord partially seasoned wood though(cut and split in previous winter or spring). I had always wanted to put away a few hundred seasoned cords. At that time it was double the profit.

Ncountry said:
I have not sold wood for roughly ten years. I used to sell 300-500 full cords a year. The market was such that I could sell every stick of green wood I cut. In the fall I could have sold seasoned wood 2 to 1 compared to green. Due to time and financial restraints I rarely had over 50 cord partially seasoned wood though(cut and split in previous winter or spring). I had always wanted to put away a few hundred seasoned cords. At that time it was double the profit.

I bet most people in Northern NY use wood for heat instead of ambiance and understand the value of seasoning.

Yes, My average customer ordered 4 cord + . I do remember one that burned 20 . I do not think they were burning it in a fireplace. One older gentleman 70 + years old would order 22" wood unsplit for his large furnace. I would try to keep the pieces under 14" around and he was pleased . One year he calls and asked if I could split it this time .He said his wife could not handle the large pieces any more. Heck I did not like handling those large pieces either.

Ncountry said:
Yes, My average customer ordered 4 cord + . I do remember one that burned 20 . I do not think they were burning it in a fireplace. One older gentleman 70 + years old would order 22" wood unsplit for his large furnace. I would try to keep the pieces under 14" around and he was pleased . One year he calls and asked if I could split it this time .He said his wife could not handle the large pieces any more. Heck I did not like handling those large pieces either.

lol thats what I run so if you can handle it,it's going to fit.

Backwoods Savage said:
We had to take a trip into the city today and I was amazed at how many places had a face cord of wood for sale. They stack it out by the roads between t-posts. I did not count (wish I had) so don't really know how many I saw.....but this I do know; of all the wood we saw for sale today only one was seasoned. The rest was all cut and split very recently.

Prices ranged from $40 to $65, which means $120-195 per cord.

It just never ceases to amaze me not only how many think they are going to sell firewood but also how many just go out and cut and then sell. I doubt any of them knows anything about seasoning wood. Nuts!
Hey, I resemble that remark! Ha ha!

I sell it by the 1/2 face cord=1/6 full cord, $25. The campers and fireplace burners (the majority of my customers) seem to like that quantity better than a larger amount. I never keep my seasoned wood out by the road, and I rarely ever sell the "displayed" wood out there. If someone stops for wood, I sell it from the better wood out back, in a place where I can keep an eye on it. The only time I sell the "display" is when I'm not home. I have a container out there that people put their money in and then take that wood. To this day (knock on wood) I have not been ripped off.

I also don't sell green wood. I don't even cut green wood willingly, but only on the rare occasion where a green tree has come down in a storm and is blocking one of the trails. All the wood I cut has been dead for years, and the bark has fallen off. Not to say that it isn't still wet inside when I cut it, sometimes even standing dead with no bark has water in it, but the stuff I sell has been cut and split for some time before I sell it anyway. No one ever asks me for seasoned wood and I never tell anybody whether or not it's seasoned. I don't think very many people even know what that is, or care, especially the campers and fireplace burners. Either way, it's still a lot more seasoned (and cheaper) than the $5 bundles of green pine slabs that they sell at the grocery store in town.

I don't sell a lot of firewood in a year. Actually, I give more of it away to family and friends than I sell, but I don't do it to make money anyway. I do it because it gives me an excuse to do one of the things I enjoy the most; make more firewood!
IMG_9096.jpg

Doesn't seem like a bad price, but not delivered.

I just stacked (delivered this spring) 3.2 cords of wood that I paid the price for 4 cords.
It's nice wood, and nice shaped and packed tight, but I still think I got shorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.