Wood shed ideas.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirxloin

Nov 29, 2011
Naples, ME
Hello all,
I am thinking of building a wood storage shed. I've been looking around the web trying to get ideas and I could use some pointers.

I burn about 2 cord a year, 16" splits in my little Regency insert. I have my wood stacked between some white pines and, due to the trees swaying, it's falling over. some of it is also molding up. In my defence, I have only lived in this house 4 months. The moldy stuff is from the p/o who had been stacking his wood between those trees.

I'd like to have a small area where I could house 4 cord. That is the easy part. I am looking for some ideas how to do that. I'd be getting a cord at a time when money allowed. I dont want to bury my oldest wood in the back of the shed, so a first in, first out design would be mint. Any ideas or threads that i can reference would be great.

Also, forgive me if I sounds scatter brained. I am pretty sure my wife will be birthing our 2nd today, so I am nervously trying to keep my mind occupied!!

Thanks

My wood shed looks like a lean to built off the back of my garden shed. It is actualy a cantileeverd roof with posts, but that is not the point. Open on three sides, the first stack can be removed as readily as the last.

Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking of something a little more "finished" looking. My area for this is right off my driveway and in front of my house. I like that layout style though. Needs a roof.

whatever you choose, do as Dune said and keep at least three sides open for air movement. I'm going to build one this coming summer as well, and my plan will basically be to built a truss style roof with a 10' height. I have a lot of wood and once I get the second stove going, I will probably be burning around 10 cord a year. so I want the wood to season a year or so outside the shed, and the summer before I use it I will move it into the shed. I plan on making the roof black, to help draw more sun heat into the wood. and I plan on making at least three retractable or rollaway sides out of rubber roofing, so during long wet spells (and we've had a PILE of rain this past year in PA) I can pull the sides down to keep the wood from getting wet. also a fan or two possibly in the eaves to move out some of the moisture that I am sure will cook out of the wood due to the black roof. I'll share my plans when I get around to drawing them.....

sirxloin said:
Hello all,
I am thinking of building a wood storage shed. I've been looking around the web trying to get ideas and I could use some pointers.

I burn about 2 cord a year, 16" splits in my little Regency insert. I have my wood stacked between some white pines and, due to the trees swaying, it's falling over. some of it is also molding up. In my defence, I have only lived in this house 4 months. The moldy stuff is from the p/o who had been stacking his wood between those trees.

I'd like to have a small area where I could house 4 cord. That is the easy part. I am looking for some ideas how to do that. I'd be getting a cord at a time when money allowed. I dont want to bury my oldest wood in the back of the shed, so a first in, first out design would be mint. Any ideas or threads that i can reference would be great.

Also, forgive me if I sounds scatter brained. I am pretty sure my wife will be birthing our 2nd today, so I am nervously trying to keep my mind occupied!!

Thanks

At the risk of sounding like a jerk . . . Imight suggest you try a search since there are lots and lots of threads with pictures of woodsheds.

That said . . . there are many different ways of building a shed from "Pallet Island and the "Hillbilly Hideaway" plans all the way up to woodsheds like Fossils and Carbon Liberators (at least I think it is CL's that I am thinking of . . . the one that borders the driveway, has lights and even a Secret Hiding Spot). Woodsheds can be built out of rustic poles and slabs . . . or with all finished lumber. They can hold just a cord or so or a huge amount of wood (see Bogey Dave's woodshed.) I guess what I'm saying is that there is no one, right way to build a woodshed.

I built my woodshed so it can hold 8-9 cords . . . easily enough for one winter with the next year's wood in it as well . . . I built it mostly from salvaged wood from a camp I tore down . . . and I have three sides with an open front, but the rear and sides are board and batting without the batting. By stacking my wood front to back vs. the normal side to side you can remove whatever wood you want in whatever order you want . . . more or less.

Oh yeah . . . congrats I assume on the birth of your child. . . .

Don't think that you have to have a wood shed. For many, many moons we simply stacked all our wood outdoors and still do. The key is to not let the wood touch the ground so stack it on some poles, pallets or landscape timbers or something similar. We stack 3 deep rather than single rows but single rows will dry quicker. However, we stack our wood 4 1/2' high in the spring and by fall it has shrunk to 4' tall so this says lots of moisture is taken out over the summer months. We do not cover the wood until just before snow flies and then use old galvanized roofing for covering. I don't think too many folks would be offended by looking at wood stacks like this. It may not be as neat as zaps, but he is a pro.

Woodfrom2009.jpg

Another idea for a wood shed is a carport. One of those aluminum carports that seem to be for sale all over the place. We see them as low as $795.

Status
Not open for further replies.