wood stack is back "up to snuff"!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressive....very...

Reactions: ScotO
As I said before "You are the whore of hoarders";)
smiley-chores017.gif

Thanks for the compliments fellas.......
If you would have told me 3 years ago that I'd be sitting on 4 years' worth of firewood at this point, I'd have called you crazy! But, being that we heat exclusively with wood, its a great feeling to be that far ahead! No worries about wood seasoning that way!

Well Scott, I might have been the one who goaded you into getting ahead on the wood. You are a good learner!

nothing wrong with that at all! Lately, we've been getting a chitload of pine on these tree removals we do.....I'll be milling most of that for boards to build the woodshed down the road. Going to quote a guy on a MASSIVE willow tree tomorrow....I'm kinda hoping he says no.....
I do have a taker for the wood (OWB guy), he's never burned willow before......he's gonna hate me after he burns this chit!!
He'll think he's got a skunk in his chimney.;lol

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Yes sir, my friend.....it's all because of you! You, Sir, are a great coach!!
Nice stacks for sure. You seem like a real good family man. 4 years ahead is quite a feat. I hope to be 2 years ahead by October or so.

My coach was Eric Johnson but when you get three or more years ahead it feels good.

Good work Scott. Good thing you are a big'un. Those big pieces of rubber roofing can be a butt kicker to get up on the stacks. I know. I used to cover 13 cord with one piece of it before the shed. And I am scrawny on top of the old part.

My coach was Eric Johnson but when you get three or more years ahead it feels good.

Good work Scott. Good thing you are a big'un. Those big pieces of rubber roofing can be a butt kicker to get up on the stacks. I know. I used to cover 13 cord with one piece of it before the shed. And I am scrawny on top of the old part.
Bart, you are right. Those rolls of roofing are heavy, and cumbersome to toss around no matter how big you are. Not to mention, the black crap you have all over your hands, arms, and face after wrestling it onto the woodstack:eek:

Lots of good people on this site, and they are full of lots of good information. We're a good team of woodburners on here, so we are!

Ha, lol, I'm trying to get 4 years ahead too, only thing is I probably only need 5 cord, not 32...... And I must say you keep that much wood nice and tidy in your yard, I'm struggling right now with the 4 or 5 I have now, but hopefully I will be done with 5 cord CSS by the fall.... Great job Scotty.... Don't stop now...

Exceptional Scotty...glad you had a good time on vaca with the family. I am sure you are like me if you don't plan a get away and just take some time off all you get done doing is work. Dagnabit though you slipped away and got back before I could come have a look at your locust stash.

If you heat with wood being ahead isn't just about drying the wood. You never know when life will jump up and smack you upside the head and you aren't able to c/s/s for a year or more. Having it on the stacks then is priceless. I found that out three years ago. And blessed Eric every day for converting me.

Eric, the first mod here, used to make that point often. Not realizing that it was going to jump up and do exactly that to him.

Scotty does that stuff in those thick wide attacks dry In 3 years? Seems like very little air flow in the center.

Scotty does that stuff in those thick wide attacks dry In 3 years? Seems like very little air flow in the center.
Yes, it dries fine. One of the great controversies here....
Being I keep it top covered has a lot to do with that drying in the center. Not to mention, giving it several years in the stacks. I have never had a moisture problem with my wood since I've gotten ahead.......

You da man! >>

I wont be posting many pics of my stacks for a while - Noticed one day about 2 months back that almost 2 of them at parents acreage fell over 1 day when a big gust moved the tops of the large White Oaks they're stacked between.;em

All dead mostly Red/White Oak,split/stacked since Summer 2011.Close to a cord pretty much.Part of one fell over during a snowstorm last winter,I restacked it a few weeks later.This stuff will sit on the ground (very dry here,almost no rain in past 6 weeks) until I either bring some of it to town this Fall or drop off a p/u load for brother's fireplace if he's out.

Picking it up twice was enough,I got better things to do than restack what the deer or Mother Nature puts on the ground.....;lol

(Like go cut some more,like I did last weekend ;))

Good to get away and have a good time :)
U have some great helpers.:cool:
Wow, Man !! that stack is awesome, how many cubits is that ? ;) I think Noah would be proud of you :)

That theres a 20 year supply for me.

That theres a 20 year supply for me.
With both the NZ3000 and the 1900p cooking this winter, I expect to be using around 7-8 cord per winter. Probably a little less than that, but that's a liberal number. Last winter I used around 7 cord, but most of that wood was silver maple and ash.....with a little locust and oak. This winter, it will be all red maple, oak and honey/black locust. Should probably use almost a cord less this year.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
32 cord would last me around 8-10 yrs minimum.Am at close to 16 again counting the 1/2 p/u load last Saturday.

Reactions: HDRock and ScotO
My 8yr old daughter did a TON of hard work for me, I was very proud of her!
They say good help is hard to find, but it sounds like you found some! :)

Nice mix of wood, there. I like to cover right after I stack it but I don't have a cube, just double rows at most. Ya think the cover will slow the cube down?
EDIT: OK, so it doesn't slow it down.... >> (Missed your post above.)

I'll be milling most of that for boards to build the woodshed down the road
Why not build a shed at your place first, then build the one down the road? ;)

AWESOME !
#1 Head of Hoarders . :)

All for the house or is some for syrup season?

Got the little wood elf helper and everything...making my paltry wood stacks look bad...
Wood Wizard Extraordinaire and even paid to get it! skeleton1[1].gif

As I said before "You are the whore of hoarders";)
Yep. He associates with all the sleazy woods....even Pine! ;lol

got better things to do than restack what the deer or Mother Nature puts on the ground.....;lol
Hey, don't blame her! Any time you stack between trees, you're rollin' the dice. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.