wood stack is back "up to snuff"!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My coach was Eric Johnson but when you get three or more years ahead it feels good.

Good work Scott. Good thing you are a big'un. Those big pieces of rubber roofing can be a butt kicker to get up on the stacks. I know. I used to cover 13 cord with one piece of it before the shed. And I am scrawny on top of the old part.

Eric is a good man. When I first got onto this forum I always looked for his posts.

If you heat with wood being ahead isn't just about drying the wood. You never know when life will jump up and smack you upside the head and you aren't able to c/s/s for a year or more. Having it on the stacks then is priceless. I found that out three years ago. And blessed Eric every day for converting me.

Eric, the first mod here, used to make that point often. Not realizing that it was going to jump up and do exactly that to him.

And it has happened to several others too. Steve, the fire chief is one that comes to mind. He is one lucky man after the accident he had and how it left him. He was very thankful to have a large wood pile already for burning. And as stated, both Eric and Bart found that out too.

Reactions: ScotO
Scotty does that stuff in those thick wide attacks dry In 3 years? Seems like very little air flow in the center.

You no doubt have also seen some of ours. Presently we are stacking most in 3 rows tight together but have stacked well over 20 rows tight together but still have not had a problem with the wood drying.

One case in point; with the three rows stacked together, if that center row did not dry well, would not it be higher than the two outside rows? This is assuming they were all stacked at the same height as ours is.

Case in point. That stack which is holding me up was stacked in April, 2009. It is a 3 row stack and all were stacked to a height of approximately 54". That stack is still there and all three rows are the same height, just like they've been the same height every year which tells me they are all drying at the same rate. Perhaps I should even take a new picture of that stack to show that it is stacked in the shade too. We will burn some of that this coming winter and probably finish that off the following winter. Yes, we still have more stacked and ready to burn.
Denny-April 2009h.JPG

Hey, don't blame her! Any time you stack between trees, you're rollin' the dice. :oops:

No big deal.First time that happened in almost 20 years.Its on top of a slight hill,gets more wind there usually.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.