1. rgsccr

rgsccr
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Seattle
    Hi,
    As we complete our first burning season, we are ready to buy a cord or more of wood that needs seasoning (up to this point we have purchased only ready to burn wood). I have room in my garage to store it but I am wondering if this will slow down the drying process. I should point out that my garage is always open - doors, even a broken window - so there is plenty of air flow. Of course,
    there would be no sun. What do you think? Thanks. Rich

2. Bill

Bill
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 2, 2007
    Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    Wood will season better outside in the sun and wind. I age mine two years and then bring it in the barn to keep it dry. Hardwood and long or big pieces of wood take longer to age, than soft wood, smaller splits, and shorter splits. Make a wood rack and store it outside and dry and then bring in.

3. wendell

wendell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Madison, WI
    There may be airflow but assuming you will be stacking near a wall, probably not much. It will dry but it may take longer than you want.

4. smokinj

smokinj
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 or 2

5. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    To answer your question, yes, it will slow down the drying process. To the point that even our softwoods won't be reasy for this coming fall. Must you use a garage or do you have some outdoor space available?

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Yup. That garage might get a good amount of air but nowhere near the flow you would get outdoors. Better to stack it in a single row outdoors and don't take into the garage until late fall or early winter. Leave it out as long as you can.

7. rgsccr

rgsccr
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Seattle
    Thanks. I'll build an outside stand for the wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.