Wood Stove draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fibes

Oct 16, 2008
central wi.
In the area where I want to put the chimmney, there is a ceiling joist, the chimmney guy said they do not like to mess with the joist, so either I put the chimmney close to the wall, about 7" or go out to about 23". I did not plan to change anything on the back wall, and really don't want the stove out the 23". So if I use double wall pipe and elbow away from the wall a few inches will this have any effect on the drafting of the stove.

thanks
rick

6" double-wall connector pipe should have a clearance requirement of 6" to the wall, 8" to the ceiling. If the support box allows the double-wall to start at 8" into the room, I think it is code legal, but will wait for confirm from Craig and Rick to be sure.

fibes said:
In the area where I want to put the chimmney, there is a ceiling joist, the chimmney guy said they do not like to mess with the joist, so either I put the chimmney close to the wall, about 7" or go out to about 23". I did not plan to change anything on the back wall, and really don't want the stove out the 23". So if I use double wall pipe and elbow away from the wall a few inches will this have any effect on the drafting of the stove.

thanks
rick

Rick, any time you change the angle it will have some effect on the draft. However, it makes a difference what angle you are talking. 90 or 45 makes a big difference. You may have to add a couple of feet to the height of the chimney depending upon how high it is already.

DRAFT IN WOOD BURNING:

Draft is adversely affected by chimney offsets; less offset means more draft. Personally, I wouldn't do a 90* offset.

Draft is adversely affected with a chimney in an outside wall; worst is most chimney vertical outside the house in a cold chase. Best draft is to have the chimney inside near the middle of the house - this keeps it warmer.

Draft is adversely affected by short chimneys. Longer is better. Shoot for 18' chimney length or better.

Draft is adversely affected by near equal inside/outside temperatures. Cold outside and warm chimney inside is best for a good draft.

Draft is adversely affected by close proximity of other outside structures near the chimney cap. Obey the 10-3-2 rule.

OTHER DRAFT:

For beer, a cold draft is good.

When you're sick, cold drafts are bad.

An a boat, shoal draft is good when gunk-holing and island hopping.

In a racing sailboat, a deep draft helps sailing to windward.

To avoid military duty, avoid the draft.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "I know it. You're a poet. Your feet show it. They're Longfellows."

Status
Not open for further replies.