Wood stove for 30" high opening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hike Hounds

Sep 23, 2016
New Jersey
Hi Gurus,

I am looking for a wood stove for primary heat in NW New Jersey for a 2400sf ranch. Power goes out frequently, sometimes for weeks, so I'd like something that doesn't depend on a blower. Two different dealers have told me it's "virtually impossible" to find a back venting wood stove for a 30h x 25d x 46w opening. Only suggestions have been a Regency H2100 or a Jotul Oslo. Any opinion on these or any other suggestions? Money is tight.

Much thanks!

Well my dimensions are identical to yours for the most part and I used a top venting stove. See my post, "Alderlea T5 install into fireplace completed". My height is 31in but that is the only significant difference. 2400sf is a large area to heat but I am sure there is a stove that will work. I do not think the T6 is any taller than the T5 so it would work. It is wider but you may not have an issue with the width. Others will chime soon with more help.

The Woodstock Ideal Steel may work there or their Progress Hybrid if you want a fancier soapstone stove.

I'm thinking the Oslo would be a great choice (Height is 28.5 inches, 26.25 with optional short leg kit.) Many other cast iron stoves with reversible flues seem like they would work too... Try to find a good used one if possible, Hearthstone makes a couple of models that would work (Heritage and Phoenix) but they are pricey. That's a good sized fireplace BTW. Good luck.

From my Ideal Steel manual with the legs at the minimum height, it is 24.5" to the center of the flue opening. It would certainly give you a fighting chance at heating that area.

Reactions: brenndatomu
How big is the room? Is it a raised hearth? If so, how deep is the hearth extended out into the room? A stove sitting out in front of the opening would be much better than one most of the way in.

Have you looked at a Lopi Rebulic 1750 or a Quadrafire Explorer 1?

A 1.7 cuft firebox is a little small for a house that big in our climate zone.

I was referring to the Explorer 1

I'd stay focused on as large a firebox as will fit in there, in the 2.5-3.0 cu ft range.

Status
Not open for further replies.