Wood stove for the long haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you answered my first question . . . sounds like you're not living in the typical drafty Maine farmhouse with a minimal amount of insulation and old, leaky windows. That's good . . . really good . . . since insulation and windows would be my first recommendation to heat more efficiently. Sounds like you're on top of that issue.

From the sounds of it, I'm guessing the sheer size of the house and open layout may be what is causing the woodstove to be going full bore and if that's the case in my opinion you'll need one of the big boys to heat your home. Another consideration not mentioned is an indoor add-on wood boiler (not the infamous outdoor wood boilers) or add-on wood furnace . . . they may still consume a good amount of wood, but if you've got the plumbing/ductwork it may be a more efficient way to move the heat throughout the whole home vs. using a space heater (aka woodstove.)

That said . . .

Vermont Castings: I would take this stove off my list . . . most folks here aren't particularly fond of them . . . they had a great product and reputation . . . several years back. Recent issues with several models, costly replacement parts, bankruptcies and warrantees not honored have turned off many folks to the Vermont Castings line up.

Other stove models: I love my Jotul Oslo, but I think you need to go as big as you can -- perhaps larger than the 600 . . . several options have been mentioned . . . The Englander NC-30, Quadrafire 5700, Pacific Energy (The Summit, maybe the T6) and of course the vaunted Blaze King. I realize you have had a bad experience with cats . . . and to be honest I was leery of them as well after hearing of a friend's past experience with VC cats, but after hanging out here for some time I realized that the technology has evolved and not all stove companies and cats are created equal . . . it seems as though folks with Blaze Kings really, really love the heat output and long burn times. Looks aren't everything and of course it's very subjective, but while I love the benefits of the BK I have to say I find it rather unattractive . . . then again even though this may be a blasphemy, I also don't particularly care for the look of the Woodstock stoves (although their legendary long burns and customer service are mighty attractive.)

Longevity: I think just about any stove out there, short of a few off-brand stoves should be able to easily give you 15-20 years or more of life before any real issues develop . . . assuming you're not over-firing the stove, keeping it clean, maintaining it, etc.

summit said:
get a steel stove, and stay away from all the extra dampers and such.. get a straight, firbick lined steel unt: PE, lopi, avalon, englander, napoleon, somethin' !!! don't got for a cast stove w/ refractory panels inside, flop dampers and rear chambers if you wanna get more than 6 yrs outta it withou replacing all the pretty parts and 2ndary burn chambers. even the cheaper steel stoves will only require a cera board baffle at @ $ 60-100 every couple yrs, but by no means are they toast if you have to replace one (you can even stuff a $5 pipe damper in and use it if you are lacking to replace said baffle).. lopis pe, regency,, avalons, i think lennox as well, have solid baffles for a couple more $ that last a long time or carry lifetime wttys.
I don't know the first thing about these modern dainty stoves, but I agree with the above quote. My stove is steel, lined with firebrick, burns 24/7 for 9 months of the year and once in awhile short burns the other 3 months. It is going on 40 years old and has never had so much as a firebrick replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.