Wood stove glass turns brown overnight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, new to all this and have appreciated all the help from you all!

I know it's not heating season yet but I can't help myself and have been burning a few fires over the weekend in our wood stove insert.

The glass stays nice and clean the entire fire. Usually it ends up being down to some coals when I go to bed.

When I come down in the morning, the glass is black and brown.

I know the glass will get dirty but is it normal for that to happen after just one use?

I keep the air supply on high when I go to bed to minimize creosote buildup.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it is possible if the draft is weak and/or the wood is not fully seasoned. What stove is this with? Can you add that to your signature line?

I see. Draft might be weak since it's 80 outside! Haha.

Oh yes good idea thanks I'll do that! I have a Heatilator Eco Choice WINS 18

Testing new signature.

Signature looks good. You don’t need to run it wide open to prevent creosote but you need dry wood and medium to high stove and chimney temperatures to minimize it.

Good to test out your new setup in the summer. Gives you a chance to fix it before winter.

Most common cause of dark glass on a noncat is wet wood followed by too low of intake air setting. Things might improve when temperatures drop.

Thanks for the advice this is good to know. Definitely isn't the wood, as it's 3+ year old wood that's also been in my dry house for about 6 months at least!

This thing is awesome and already appears to draft pretty fast. Winter should be good!

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
I see. Draft might be weak since it's 80 outside! Haha.

Oh yes good idea thanks I'll do that! I have a Heatilator Eco Choice WINS 18
Bingo. There should be a dramatic improvement when it drops below 50º outside.