Wood stove insert and/or free standing advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canigolf2day

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,
First timer here great forum. Here is my situation I'm thinking of having a wood stove insert installed into my existing fireplace. One of my possible issues is my hearth depth. I have 18.5 inches of hearth (slate) depth. My hearth is raised up from the hardwood floor 15.5 inches (not sure if that matters for minimuns for installations). One of the local stove shops said I need 22 inches of depth from wood stove door to end of hearth. Not sure if its accurate. Read on Jotul's website the flush face model requires less than what i have. Not sure if certain states requires different specs? I would rather have an insert installed verses a free standing unit so I can eliminate our somewhat drafty heat sucking fireplace we use during the winter months. Couple of questions for you experts from me the novice any idea of hearth depth i need for an insert? I am trying to spend no more than $3000-$3500 any recommendations for a stove in that price range? (price is including installation from a stove shop). Does a free standing unit produce more heat than an insert?
Thanks in advance,
South East Massachusetts

I think the general opinion is that the freestanding units do put out more heat. Yeah the insert has a blower, but the freestanding unit radiates heat in every direction. The idea is that everything else in the room warms up and the effect is increased the more stuff you stack on top of the stove. Those houses on Hoarders absolutely heat like banshees when someone lights them off.

Ahem.

No seriously, I went freestanding because I couldn't get an insert large for my fireplace. I think it's the best way to go. I can make a small fire in the livingroom (where my stove is) for the cool days, or I can light the thing off and heat the house since the livingroom is also incidentally the biggest room in the house and next to the stairs.

The state, unfortunately, can impose stricter requirements than "the minimum". If the state says you need X amount of space, you have to honor it.

You can get a portable hearth pad to put in front of the stove to meet your requirements. The general consensus is that freestanding stoves radiate more heat due to greater exposed surface area, but inserts take up less space. I have an insert and so far I am impressed with it. It is in the low 30's right now and I have my first floor at 76 and my second floor at 72 and my firebox is only half full and it is damped down. I have a 1500 sq ft cape cod. The blowers really help inserts distribute heat I would definitely recommend a blower. Your budget seems realistic you should be able to find a stove to meet your needs in that price range. Make sure you get a properly sized stove and don't get to wrapped up in square footage heated and btu numbers in the brochures, most people seem to think you should knock about 30% off of the square footage a stove is advertised to heat and btu's come from the wood not the stove so btu output depends more on the quality of your fuel and how much you can fit in the stove.

canigolf2day said:
Hi everyone,
First timer here great forum. Here is my situation I'm thinking of having a wood stove insert installed into my existing fireplace. One of my possible issues is my hearth depth. I have 18.5 inches of hearth (slate) depth. My hearth is raised up from the hardwood floor 15.5 inches (not sure if that matters for minimuns for installations). One of the local stove shops said I need 22 inches of depth from wood stove door to end of hearth. Not sure if its accurate. Read on Jotul's website the flush face model requires less than what i have. Not sure if certain states requires different specs? I would rather have an insert installed verses a free standing unit so I can eliminate our somewhat drafty heat sucking fireplace we use during the winter months. Couple of questions for you experts from me the novice any idea of hearth depth i need for an insert? I am trying to spend no more than $3000-$3500 any recommendations for a stove in that price range? (price is including installation from a stove shop). Does a free standing unit produce more heat than an insert?
Thanks in advance,
South East Massachusetts

The insert will need to have 16-18" in front of the door glass, though with a 15" drop to the floor, I doubt that heat will be an issue. In order to recommend an insert we need to know a bit more about the size of the area the stove is in and the general floorplan. How large an area will it be heating?

Pick out a couple inserts that appeal to you and maybe visit a few dealers in the area to get a feel for what installer and dealer you want to work with. Let us know what appeals to you and fits well in your space. Also, getting dry, seasoned wood at this time of year is hard, so you might also be inquiring for good sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.