Wood stove insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borgia

Jan 14, 2016
Patterson, ny
I just installed an insulated liner down my chimney. I thought hooking the insert up from there would be the easy part, however, I have learned the liner is not flexible. I have a Regency 2450i where the liner connects to the top with an adaptor. How do I do this with the liner not being flexible ? Also do I need to apply some type of sealant to the adaptor where it connects to the stove and liner? How do I prevent the heat in the house from going up the liner when the stove is not in use? Is the door enough to seal it? I put rockwool insulation around the liner in the flue near the bottom so hopefully this will prevent heat escaping this way. Is this safe?

Sounds like you will need an offset appliance adapter. Probably 45 degrees. I tried attaching a picture of it for you but my internet is being temperamental. You should recognize it when you see it. Looks like the adapter you have, just offset to account for the angle.
If the parts all fit reasonable we’ll together, you shouldn’t have to need sealant. Nothing in the liner system is completely air tight anyhow. The normal draft of the liner upwards should suck air into the liner and up- not expel air.
Block off plate made of galvanized sheet metal with Rockwool above that sheet metal would solve the issue of capturing and keeping as much heat as possible in the intended area, not up the chimney.

Reactions: EbS-P
The angle is not really the issue. The issue is how do I get the non flexible liner into adaptor and adaptor into stove in the small chimney space. Also how do I cut the liner?

The angle is not really the issue. The issue is how do I get the non flexible liner into adaptor and adaptor into stove in the small chimney space. Also how do I cut the liner?
Lift the liner up and drop it down onto the insert. Then cut it to length at the top. How you cut it depends upon the type of liner you have. A light wall liner can be cut with a utility knife. Heavywall you almost need a grinder but a hacksaw will work

Reactions: TomasB and EbS-P