Wood stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oifla

Dec 2, 2015
South Central... Indiana
Hello all,

First time poster with questions on a wood stove install into a basement.

The stove I'm installing is a Drolet HT2000.The stove calls for 6 in. flue. Since the chimney is much bigger (9x9 clay lined), I will be looking to install a liner. and I have two important issues to sort out: (a) I would like to go with a solid liner (b) I would like to make cleaning the flue as easy as possible.

This is a (very rough) sketch of what things look like.

Wood stove installation

As you can hopefully make out from my sketch, the piping for the stove starts out in the finished basement and then goes through a crawl space. The slope is exaggerated in my sketch but you get the idea.

The piping will connect to the chimney (shown this connection point as A on the sketch).

I will be meeting with a chimney installer to discuss my options but I wanted to ask here as well:

As I said, I'd like to go with the solid liner option. the 9x9 clay flue is straight and in good shape so I'm hoping I can drop a solid liner in without much problem.

I would also like to know if it would it be possible for me to open up an access point opposite of the connecting point A? That is, can I open the back side of the chimney (shown in diagram as B and C)? That would require me to go through (first) the outer block foundation (C, which is not a problem) and then through the back wall of the chimney (point B). The chimney is (small) cinder block on the outside and the clay liner on the inside. I would like to build in a clean out to facilitate Spring cleaning and make the installation process easier. Does that sound doable?

I hope my sketch makes sense to all as getting pics of this is pretty difficult.

(note: I didn't show it on the sketch but the chimney is approx 24 feet high).

Thanks everyone

you cannot run horizontal that far you need to come up with a different plan i am sorry

you cannot run horizontal that far you need to come up with a different plan i am sorry

Thanks for reading.

Two responses to your statement: a) there's a slope (i.e. it's not horizontal), b) the manual says: "Maximum overall length of straight pipe: 3 m (10 ft.) including elbows". My (proposed) set up should work, no?

It might work but i would not install it that way

Have you considered moving the stove upstairs and connecting it to the existing chimney . . . or going with a Class A metal chimney?

Reactions: oifla
I suppose the actual incline of the non-vertical section will be a factor. The steeper the better. But being as the chimney is 24' high that might be sufficient for a proper draft. The last thing you want (other than non-safe install) is to get it all in and find that you have poor draft. Do you plan on using it during the more temperate months as well, or just when it's good and cold? I only ask because draft problems are exacerbated in moderate weather. Class-A chimney pipe will always help with draft issues as the fumes from the stove stay hotter.

Reactions: oifla
Status
Not open for further replies.