Wood Stove Maintenance and Lifespan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I realize the lifespan and maintenance will likely vary depending upon the stove, usage, over fire, etc. But, I was hoping I could get an idea as to what I can expect to experience if I take the plunge and purchase a wood stove.

How long should a decent wood stove last?

What preventative maintenance is required?

What repairs/part replacement will I have to deal with...and how frequently?

Thanks!!!

The answers to your second and third questions depend a lot on just what type of woodstove you're talking about. The answer to your first question depends on the answers to your second and third questions and your commitment to carry out the required actions. Rick

Yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions here, but I can speak for myself with confidence. Your mileage will vary...
Blaze Kings can easily do 20 years, heating full time. I've had 4, and worn out only a early non-cat model. The current is a 1990 model princess, and should be good for another 10, minimum.
I replace the door gasket every 2 years. Catalytic combustor has gone 6 and still going, but I am replacing anyway.
Painted it 5 years ago, should be good for 2 or 3 more, depends on keeping stuff from spilling on top of it.
Replaced the chimney cap (cheapo to begin with)

I burn clean natural wood, 5 or 6 swipes with a chimney brush in the spring, clean out the ashes and loose firebox creosote at same time. No point giving that stuff all summer to corrode things. We live in a dry climate, if you have a lot of humidity, this stuff is even more important.

Remember, this is my experience only, but it does work for me.
Say what you want about catalytic stoves, they can crank out a lot more useable heat with a lot less trauma in the firebox. I have seen some "secondary burn" EPA non-cat stoves that look like they are toast in the firebox in 2 years.

How long should a decent wood stove last?

Define your use of the word "decent".

Our pre-epa Fisher, not considered "decent" by many on Hearth, has served our family 30 years & looks good for another 30.

What preventative maintenance is required?

Internally it depends on the stove, whether or not it is a cat, etc

The outward appearance can be somewhat restored to original with a can of HT engine paint when appearance requires such.

What repairs/part replacement will I have to deal with…and how frequently?

If you load firewood like my Jousting b_i_l then plan on changing most of your firebrick annually.

If you get a cat & come in jousting too high then your replacement cost is going to be considerable.

Thanks!

Yur welcome ;-)

Been burning wood since I was a kid, used a bunch of different stoves in the past.... ...smoke dragons & cat stoves. Never seen one wear out....a gasket here..... a gasket there.....a little paint. The only stove I'll complain about is that little Russo coal/wood stove I used to have (glad its gone) other than that I used to love our old top loading VC cat.....and top loading is the only thing I miss with my Oslo that I purchased in 2004. My Oslo is the biggest stove I've owned and consumes the least amount of wood, it's easy to operate and maintain....no complaints. I have just shy of 7 cords on my property c/s/s that will get me to April 2011.

WoodButcher

Thanks everyone.

I realize there is no way to answer these questions based on my situation, since I don't have one. Plus, there are so many variables that the answers can be wide spread. At least this gives me some concept.

I appreciate your collective efforts on this...thanks!!!

Our VC Defiant Encore cat (their first generation cat stove) "lasted" 23 years for us. Having said that, it could have been repaired and used for another 25 years or more, probably. During those 23 years, the maintenance involved replacing the cat element about every 5 years, replacing one door gasket. and one "rebuild" at year 11 where the stove was disassembled and reassembled by the dealer, replacing one cast iron panel because of erosion and overheating (the rear of the firebox gets too hot where the gases enter the cat chamber) and replacing all the refractory in the cat chamber as it had crumbled, plus putting all new gaskets on the doors. At year 23, the cat chamber had again crumbled, but we decided to get a new stove.

Note that most of that maintenance involved cat elements and rebuilding the cat chamber, items that were specific that that particular stove's design.

On my new Oslo, I don't anticipate nearly as much maintenance. If I manage to be careful with the ceramic baffle plate, that should last many years. Their burn tubes are pretty stout, so I hope they last many years before needing replacement, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.