wood stove recess question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_n

Apr 27, 2008
Manchester
Hi. Hope someone can be of assistance. I've just had a Morso 1412 squirrel fitted into an existing recess. My question is that the stove is fitted almost flush to the back wall (a few mms space only), the recess having been prepared by the fitter and then plastered and painted. The handbook suggests that the distance to a non-combustible surface should be 10-15cm but I'm not sure if this applies to the back. The fitter said it was fine but has given me enough cause not to trust him so far. The flue is fully insulated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Mark. Do you have a fire or stove inspector for your city? If yes, will the installation receive an inspection? From the description it sounds very tight. Even with non-combustible surfaces, Morso recommends at least 10 cm for good air circulation. A non-combustible surface means nothing combustible sitting behind the plaster. Was the alcove built by a mason out of brick or by a carpenter out of wood?

In the US, the minimum clearances tested by the stove manufacturer and listed in the manual are the law. The minimum installation clearances depend on the flue type and the alcove construction. If there is wood right behind the plaster then the minimum back clearances are shown to be 20cm with an insulated flue and 30cm with an uninsulated flue. Also be sure the clearances from the stove top to the alcove ceiling are adequate. That distance should be at least 60cm. Side clearances are listed as 50/50.5 cm. Note that these are for the Morso 1410. I couldn't find a listing for the Morso 1412. These are only the minimum distances from combustibles. It's fine to exceed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.