Wood stove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shannon J

Mar 6, 2022
Cheney WA
New log cabin construction in N.E. Washington, 30'- 42' with 8/12 pitch roof. The layout will be cut in half with open cathedral celling in kitchen, living room area and the other half being bedrooms with loft above. The peak will be 20' and the logs will be chinked and around 16"-12" diameter. I would appreciate ideas on products and stove location to help heat this vacation home.

cabin layout.jpg

Heating the back bedrooms will be tricky regardless - a fan in the doorway pointing at the bottom of the stove will help. I'd almost be inclined to put the stove on the lower wall to get better radiant line of sight to the doorway to the bedrooms. Definitely include a ceiling fan that can be run to push heat down from the peak of the ceiling.

As far as stoves, I love my woodstock fireview. If it's a vacation home, though, soapstone might not be great since it takes a little while to heat up (maybe 30 - 40 minutes to start getting significant heat off mine). Maybe one of their steel stoves might work?

Reactions: stoveliker
I'd put it in the lower wall on that drawing, but I would do it near the center (the ridge), so you can get your pipe up nice and straight inside the place before it exits the roof. (If you have snow issues, having the pipe near the ridge also avoids sliding snow damaging the pipe.)

I concur that you want a stove that can produce quite a bit of heat fast. It's vacation, so enjoying flames is a good thing. I would therefore avoid a cat stove, as it has more "modes" where it burns with less or no flames. I'm not good ad sizing stoves, others are.

Run a wood furnace installed on the bedroom parting wall with a duct to each bedroom and bath and return air in the small hallway.

1646921959213.png

Thanks for the responses.I want the wood stove to heat the cabin by itself , but there will probably be a secondary heat source. The loft stairwell will-be on the log wall next to the bedrooms.Since snow is a concern, exit near the peak allows better draw, more heat for room and less roof support needed for chimney ? Is their a effective way to circulate the ridge heat using a simple internal fan inside 6" pipe and run from ridge to bedrooms or is it better to plan on the secondary heat source handling that?

Ridge is good for snow indeed.

Have a ceiling fan because the heat will collect at the top. Yes, an inline fan can work to move heat from the ceiling into the bedrooms. There are also fans meant to fit in a 2*4 wall. (Thru the wall).

As time rolls on and with the progressive demands that fossil fuel costs go to levels that hurt the avg. work a day citizen, I'd design my next dwelling to revolve around a heat resource that isn't government controlled and a unit that may not be as pleasing to look at as it is overall functional.

As time rolls on and with the progressive demands that fossil fuel costs go to levels that hurt the avg. work a day citizen, I'd design my next dwelling to revolve around a heat resource that isn't government controlled and a unit that may not be as pleasing to look at as it is overall functional.

So you're going heat pumps? Not government controlled I believe...

In most systems, heat pumps do not operate as efficiently when temperatures drop below 25 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

It would be no use to me.

You are wrong. Mine still works very well down to 17 F. And the ones they install in Maine go down to 0 F I believe with a COP of more than 2.

You are wrong. Mine still works very well down to 17 F. And the ones they install in Maine go down to 0 F I believe with a COP of more than 2.
Not wrong, fact.
What did that cost you and if it is so great why burn wood
What fuel backs up your heat pump whe you are not burning wood.

Save your opinions for the OP he doesn't deserve you taking this thread off track.

I'm sorry but you went the "govt route", which is not what the OP asked about.

And I gave facts. Google hyper heat. I have actually heated my 1700 sqft home with these minisplit heat pumps when it was 11 F outside. Done the thing, just to see if the claims are correct...so fact. And it does not contain resistive heating strips. And it is not even as good as the hyper heat ones.

My fuel that backs up my heat pump when I'm not burning is electrons from my solar panels.

I have free heat between stove and heat pump, and already have break even on the solar panels.

Last edited: