Wood stove relocation using same chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lone Ginger

Sep 28, 2020
South Paris, Maine
I would like to relocate my wood stove to the basement to free up space in my living area. There is already a hole cut and capped in the chimney where I would like to relocate the wood stove to in the basement as I believe the old owner tried to use two woodstoves on the same chimney (I'm aware of the terrible choice that would've been and why) . My question to the group is, what do I need to do to fill the old hole in the chimney? The chimney is brick with a cast liner and the liner runs to the basement. A friend brought over a camera and the clay liner looks to be solid all the way up and down the length of the chimney. Can I just plug the hole with refractory brick and mortar? Or do I need to replace the liner and rebrick the exterior?

Thank you in advance for your time and any insight and information you might be able to offer.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson