Wood Stove Safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed the fire extinguisher at the bedroom door is in need of a charge. I have multiple smoke detectors (which seem to work better when I cook, then when I am stoking the fire). I am generally very conscience of running the stove and checking the ash bucket, but I do get nervous going to bed and going to work.

So, I am wondering if you all have some ideas, tips and tricks on wood stove safety.

Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? We have two - one in the room with the stove and at the beginning of the hallway to the bedrooms. You shouldn't worry too much about the ash bucket if it has a double bottom or has feet an inch off the floor and tight lid or you can keep it outside. I have mine on a concrete floor. If you're a worry wort like me, keep combustibles (like firewood) at least 3 feet away. I use a wireless thermometer on my nightstand to monitor the temp in the room the stove is in. The sensor is - you're right - is 3 feet away from the stove. If it's starts getting up to 80F, then I know the stove is getting hot and I need to make a quick air adjustment before I can drift off into a peaceful sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

CO and Smoke detectors as mentioned previously...

Fire extinguishers (A-B-C type, dry powder) near exit doors. NOTE - I ONLY put extinguishers near the exits, as I want to force any would be fire-fighters to go to the exit to get the extinguisher then work back towards the inside - this reduces the odds of getting trapped.

Means to fight a runaway stove fire / chimney fire near stove - I had a dead fire extinguisher that I disassembled and poured the powder into a couple of plastic containers - In the event of fire, open the stove just long enough to chuck them in, close the door and shut the draft as much as possible. I've heard that some people do the same thing with a couple big boxes of baking soda - same approach.

Keep combustibles away from the stove, only allow people that know how to operate it, Etc.

Clean the chimney at least once a year, more if needed.

Gooserider

Gloves for the stove- I like welding gloves. and train yourself to put them on every time..
I had one really nasty burn last year..

Bob

tutu_sue said:
I use a wireless thermometer on my nightstand to monitor the temp in the room the stove is in. The sensor is - you're right - is 3 feet away from the stove. If it's starts getting up to 80F, then I know the stove is getting hot and I need to make a quick air adjustment before I can drift off into a peaceful sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Thats a great idea, and many of these thermometers have high and low temp alerts/alarms. I'll put that into use for sure. Thanks Sue

Gloves for the stove- I like welding gloves. and train yourself to put them on every time..
I had one really nasty burn last year..

Don't you like seeing how steady of a hand you have?

It's a test of dexterity test. Those burns from bumping the edges of the door frame mean you failed :shut:

If your ash bucket is on a combustible surface, buy a nice-looking slab of rock for putting the ash bucket on.

Attachments

• AshBucket.jpg
    AshBucket.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 315
Status
Not open for further replies.