Wood Stove Suggestions for Double Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JR52

Jan 8, 2017
Pennsylvania
We currently heat most of our home (2,500 sf) with a wood pellet stove which works great (Harman Absolute 63). We are looking to purchase a wood stove as an occasional supplement to the pellet stove on the very cold days and back up option in case electricity goes out or our stove is down for repairs. Our current back up is electric heat pump which is very expensive and not an ideal back up for an electric pellet stove.

We have a large double sided fireplace that is essentially in the middle of our house and the ideal location for a heat source. The opening measures 36W x 30H x 45L. There is more room up the chimney from a height perspective but I would imagine we would be limited by the fireplace opening. I have attached two pictures of the fireplace from the living room side which is the same room that
our pellet stove is located.

I have tried to research this on this web site and others and I haven't really found a good solution for this situation. We are looking for non-electric options for a wood stove, does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

IMG_20180120_101644399.jpg IMG_20180120_101652115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
That's a beautiful hearth and fireplace. Sure is a massive construction.
It looks like a large insert could be put in there. I would probably leave off the factory surround completely or have a custom one made to fit inside the opening. Not sure if the fireplace opening is tall enough for a large freestanding stove, but there are some shorter ones that could fit. You'll need a 6" stainless liner up the chimney and a block-off plate would help to keep the heat in the house.

The fireplace is massive enough that a stove could be put on each side if the chimney ID could fit two liners. Is there power for a blower on the stove or insert?

Last edited:
Looks very similar to the one we have but you're opening is a little larger. Also you have a wider hearth so you may be able to put a rear venting free stander. For mine I was thinking of the new blaze king insert, once that massive amount of stone gets heated it will heat for hours like a masonry heater.

That's a beautiful fireplace! Yeah you can have a home-made Finnish Fireplace. Put that wood stove in there, heat up that masonry stack and it will give out heat for many hours.

Supreme fireplaces makes a double sided double door built in place wood burner and a free standing unit. I'm not sure if they have an insert model. You could google them and see....

Thank you everyone for the replies, really got me thinking last year. Bumping this for any ideas for a wood stove solution...