Wood stoves in a very tight house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CathyK

Sep 21, 2008
Adirondacks
We're building a new house this fall, super airtight (ICFs to the roof and a SIP roof). We will have an air exchange system. Does anyone have any input on the realities of using wood stoves in such a home? For the first year we will be using our boiler with radiant heat. The wood stove will be as an emergency backup. After the first year, we are hoping to utilize the woodstove more and the radiant less (or use the stove to augment the radiant).

It can be done. The stove should have an Outside Air Kit (OAK) so that it's combustion air is supplied by outside air. Your boiler will also require an OAK.

You are certainly doing the house right with the ICFs and SIPs. You may want to consider a wood boiler that runs in tandem with your other boiler. That way wood can heat up the radiant floors and the main boiler will take over when needed. There's a good chance you will miss the radiant floor heat if you go with just a wood stove.

Of course, you'll still need a wood stove with big windows for appearance. ;-)

Not that I am building a new house or anything, but, what is ICFs and SIPs ?? Thanks KD

AHA! Yes, I am familiar with this. Just not familiar with the abbreviations. Thanks for the links.

As a matter of fact, I have a 5th wheel camper made by a company called Trail-lite. They use a 2 inch foam center with 1/8 plywood on each side of the foam. Fiberglass on the outside, wall covering on the inside. It is excellent insulation! Uses very little propane in the winter, and no problem for the AC in the dog days of summer. Good stuff.

I thought I read something about the foam forms for ICF harboring some types of insects? Truth or myth? Thanks for the info. KD

Status
Not open for further replies.