1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

wood supply who is years ahead

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by d.braun28@yahoo.com, Apr 23, 2009.

?

Why is at least a year ahead on their supply

1. cutting and splittin now for this winter

51.2%
  2. 1 year ahead

33.6%
  3. 2 years ahead

15.2%
  4. more than 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wldm09

wldm09 New Member

Loc:
    Northwoods, WI
    I've got 4 cords c/s/s. Two have been there since Oct-08 and two since early April. I want 4 more! This wood thing is addicting. No one told me. Does anyone else gaze at their wood piles on a Saturday morning while they are drinking their first cup of coffee or am I the only dork that does that?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pteubel

pteubel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    7 1/2 cord hardwood split/stacked. 3 cords broken down pallet wood. Another 100 or so pallets left to break down.
  3. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I only burn between 2.5-3.5 cord per year so getting a couple years ahead ain't that hard. I just got 7 cord in for my parents so they're set for next year.
  4. learnin to burn

learnin to burn Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern, Pa
    I have most of next winters supply split but am in the process of stacking it. I think I have close to 5 cord so far(went through about 7 this winter with what I am hoping is my last fire tonight). When that is done I will be splitting as much as I can before it gets to hot then pick it up again in the fall/early winter for the following season.
  5. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    You certainly are not the only "dork" who does that! I dont wait for Sat morning... I do the gaze thing alot more often! There is alot of satisfaction in those stacks!
  6. Dexter

Dexter Member

Loc:
    Boulder County, CO
    I cut in Grand County Colorado. There, the beetle kill is approaching 100% kill of all lodgepole pine over 8 inches in diameter. About 90% of the trees up to 10,500 feet elevation is lodgepole. About 90% of those are over 8 inches (over-mature forest). The state forest service estimates that in that county alone, there will be 56 million tons of dead-standing wood by 2010. And most of it is bound to burn one way or the other. It's a frightening prospect. So come and get it, boys and girls. (Lodgepole is one of the best burning pine species; I wish you all lived close!)

Dexter
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    179 years IF none gets sold !!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I guess everyone is assuming the question in the poll should have been, "Who is," rather than, "Why is."

We don't have all of this winter's wood stacked yet so don't have a for sure total but we should end up with well over 20 cord on hand. It is a mix of soft maple, elm, cherry and ash with just a small amount of oak. Ash and soft maple make up the bulk of it but there is probably 2 cord of elm that is 4 years in the stack. However the count ends up we will end up with at least a 7 year supply cut, split and stacked.

And with the Fireview we burn about 3 cord per year.
  9. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I put cutting for this year, and here is some of it. I posted back a few months ago about my neighbor having his land logged. Here is some of what the loggers left me to get.

I am a one man with 1.5 good legs operation. So I get what I can without killing myself and getting tangled up and being worse.

Shipper

Attached Files:

10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If you think that the oak is "good enough" after your normal time frame, let a little sit for the 18 months that you hear about. You won't believe the difference in burn characteristics from 9-12 month seasoned to 18 month seasoned White Oak. It took me awhile to realize this, but I leave all oaks to season for 2 years. Its the gold standard of firewood.

Of course, being in the good ole mid-west you also have the platinum of firewood available.....osage orange. YeeeHaaawww!
  11. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I thought we were talking about cut/split/seasoned in that order?
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    he is
  13. Chief Ryan

Chief Ryan New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I burned less then 3 cords this year. I've been burning since Oct at night. 24/7 since Nov to the end of Feb. At night only through March. And only a few nights in April. Great stove. This is my first year and i love it.
  14. wldm09

wldm09 New Member

Loc:
    Northwoods, WI
    Here is a pic of my stash. 4 down, 4 to go...

Attached Files:

15. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    .....always cuttin' and splittin' at my place

[​IMG]
  16. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    We don't use wood as our primary heat source. Rather, we use it to supplement and offset the amount of oil we use both in our home and in the studio space over the garage. We typically leave all the zone thermostats set at their lowest settings and use the stoves to "take the chill off" and keep the spaces they heat cozy.

At present, we have enough firewood, split, stacked, and seasoned for two winters. We have another 2-maybe 3 cord in 4' lengths or rounds ready to be split. And there are several smallish trees that we would like to cull to open up the surrounding "woods", and improve the condiltions for other trees.

We burn a cord/cord and a half in the house. I've not used the stove in the studio very much, but suspect that fired regularly we'll be in the 2/2+ range for the season.
  17. Stevebass4

Stevebass4 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin MA
    beautiful picture!!!

here's mine

figure 6 cord 3 from last year and 3 in the spring

[​IMG]

then maybe one cord in misc piles

[​IMG]

then yesterday's work that i need to stack (should be 2.5)

[​IMG]
  18. wldm09

wldm09 New Member

Loc:
    Northwoods, WI
    All these pictures are just making me itchy to get out in the woods! It needs to stop raining!
  19. DBoon

DBoon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I have 1-1/2 full cords of mixed hardwood (mostly cherry and hard maple) and 1-1/2 cords of pine/spruce that will be two years dry by this fall. Looking forward to using more of the pine/spruce for the shoulder seasons - I burned a little of that this spring and it seemed to do all right. I somewhat struggled this winter with not quite seasoned wood, but overall, it was pretty good. I have a better wood supplier than most, I think (took first delivery the previous May, burned this last fall and winter).

My father-in-law and I are working on getting the hickory bucked and split. Hope to have 2+ cords of that stacked and drying by the end of Memorial Day weekend.

Not burning full-time just yet - this is for a home that my wife and I are at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time in the winter. I'll probably use 2/3 of what I have available for next year, or all of it if it is a really cold winter.
  20. michaelthomas

michaelthomas New Member

I used about 5 cord this year and have had next years wood stacked since last spring 6 cord of mostly red oak and maple. I have about 8 cord of maple and oak logs to process by June for 2010. 2 cord of misc hardwoods that I cut down a few years ago from the yard but never split. I have 4 big pitch pines that will be taken down next week. It should net 1 to 1-1/2 cord. I will stack this seperately for shoulder season burning. So I should have about 15 cord stacked in the back. I hope to get it all done by June so I can enjoy the summer.
  21. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Well, I am ahead a couple years for the house, but the kiln is a hungry beyatch. She eats 8-12 cord a year along I now figure (that has gone up).
  22. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I went into my woods yesterday and the insects nearly ate me alive. I won't be cutting wood again until September. :down:
  23. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I answered 2 years but am set for 2010/11 with a good start on 2011/12 (all elm) but am just getting started on 2009 (standing dead elm) A little backward I know but it just how it has been working out.
  24. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    We always burn "3rd-year wood" - 3 summers of drying before burning. Burn about 5 cords of aspen/yr, start each fall with 15-20 total cords on hand, rotate the wood draw around the stacks in the woodsheds.
  25. wldm09

wldm09 New Member

Loc:
    Northwoods, WI
    Do you have any pictures of what 15-20 cords looks like? That would make my mouth water...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.