1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

wood supply who is years ahead

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by d.braun28@yahoo.com, Apr 23, 2009.

?

Why is at least a year ahead on their supply

1. cutting and splittin now for this winter

51.2%
  2. 1 year ahead

33.6%
  3. 2 years ahead

15.2%
  4. more than 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerry100

gerry100 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY Capitol Region
    Upcoming season's wood has been in the shed since fall.

Following seasons wood is 80% cut/split and piled in the woods. I'll move into the shed in Sept.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I finished stacking a second holz hausen, each about 2.25 cords, so I am pretty sure I have all of next year's wood cut, stacked, and seasoning. I will start with a stack of about 2 1/4 cords that has been split and stacked since about December, then use the second 2 1/4 cord hausen that should be close to a year old by the time I use it. My stacks are a mix of everything, except not a lot of oak. I look out the window and see thousands of trees on the ridge, and probably 90% are oak, but I end up getting everything but oak. That is fine for now, since I have been trying to collect wood for next year and oak wouldn't be seasoned in time. Now that I am starting to work on wood for 2010/11, I can add the oak that I have been setting aside. I have lots of Red Maple, Black Walnut, Red Cedar, White Pine, a little Black Cherry, Chestnut Oak, Slippery Elm, and a stick or two of about 6 other species.

I don't have a wood stove yet, but have a hearth and a chimney, so I am almost there. We plan to install a smaller stove to heat mostly the furnished basement (500 sq ft or so), so i probably won't be burning lots of wood compared to some others here. I guess maybe 2 to 4 cords. I might turn out to have more than a year's supply stacked out back. I don't plan to stop collecting, just in case (or maybe because I can't stop).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.