Wood/Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
One other blow down portion of a tree I cut at my sister's house a month or so ago, I have no idea what kind of wood it is. Can you ID it? I took pics of the tree and leaves from the rest of the standing tree, and some close ups of the wood, that's already turning funky colors. The wood is a slight bit punky looking, even though the downed tree had live green leaves on it, when I cut it a few weeks ago.

DSCN2681.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2682.JPG
    DSCN2682.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN2683.JPG
    DSCN2683.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN2684.JPG
    DSCN2684.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCN2685.JPG
    DSCN2685.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 162
One other blow down portion of a tree I cut at my sister's house a month or so ago, I have no idea what kind of wood it is. Can you ID it? I took pics of the tree and leaves from the rest of the standing tree, and some close ups of the wood, that's already turning funky colors. The wood is a slight bit punky looking, even though the downed tree had live green leaves on it, when I cut it a few weeks ago.

View attachment 69082
Why am I thinking some kind of willow hybrid. Leaves do stay green in willow trees well after they are cut. Just a thought.

Willow x3. You can stick a live willow branch into the ground and it will grow into a tree.

At first glance I too was thinking willow.

I also think willow. There are a lot of willow species, but this one seems like it might be a Weeping Willow due to the twigs which look very long and flexible.

my immediate thought as well. That's some sort of willow. YUCK!

Willow and let it go. Not worth the effort.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll put it in the burn pile with all the branches around the property. I've got enough good wood for a few years, I don't need to take punky junk. I've burned a bit of willow firewood once and only once before, and it was hard to split, and just not a good btu wood.

This stuff isn't even worth my effort to put it out by the road or on CL "free campfire wood".

Thanks for the feedback. I'll put it in the burn pile with all the branches around the property. I've got enough good wood for a few years, I don't need to take punky junk. I've burned a bit of willow firewood once and only once before, and it was hard to split, and just not a good btu wood.

This stuff isn't even worth my effort to put it out by the road or on CL "free campfire wood".

I thought the same thing on willow, last summer I dropped thre willows to clear out my back yard. All three were around 48-60 in bases each with three trunks coming out . I put them on craigslist and said that they were willow and free to take for campfire wood. I couldnt believe the amount of calls I had. People almost fighting over who could take the stuff. All three trees were gone in less than a week to peoplpe planning to burn in their stoves. Only thing they left was the stumsp since no one had a big enough saw to cut through. I just had a neighbor roll em to the back of my property to rot away. So its worth a shot on CL if you want em gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.