1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood warm or cold??

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by shaggy205, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Warm or cold isn't what makes the difference.....wet or dry does.....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    True. True.
  3. westkywood

westkywood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kentucky
    I keep about 5 days of wood stacked in my fireplace near the wood stove..Not to warm it up, just for convenience.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The only time any wood sits indoors is when my wife will be home alone long enough to require a reload. Then I load up the big copper kettle next to each stove with wood, so she doesn't need to go fetch it from outside. I don't like having any wood sitting indoors, due to the bugs that seem to inevitably come in with it... be it moths, stink bugs, or other more destructive critters.
  5. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I keep it covered to make sure there is no snow or ice, but it is cold. I could see if you were trying to burn wood that was 25% moisture content that you would not want to burn it cold as the moisture would be frozen and cause even worse issues that just the wet wood at room temp, but I am burning 11% wood and thus it burns just the same if it comes in from 5::F or is at 75::F
  6. Redlegs

Redlegs Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Kansas
    I keep about 2 days worth in by the fireplace. Prob 3+ weeks worth up under the porch. I like to have it warmed inside, plus if there is any surface moisture a day or two in next to the fireplace has that resolved.
  7. Redlegs

Redlegs Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Kansas
    Is that like the stuff from the kitchen "veg oil"?