Woodburning Withdrawal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
Okay folks, I was thinking it was just me, but then after reading a few posts here I am under the impression that burning wood can be addictive.
This is my first year,(fire virgin) and after a challenging winter of learning about moisture meters, IR guns, how to load, maintain and sustain an overnight burn, and what the best wood is BTU-wise, I have finally decided it is time to put the stove to sleep for the warm season.
And then I start getting this LONGING to have just one more fire, just to take the chill off the night, you know? I start fiddling with the wood, wondering if I should do some more splitting so I have plenty of dry kindling for next winter. I find myself staring into the dark, empty abyss through the ceramic glass, thinking there is something wrong with this picture.
Is it just me? Is this just another manifestation of OCD? Am I obsessed with my wood stove??;hm

Reactions: n3pro and tfdchief
I never really stop . . . if I'm not burning wood inside the woodstove I'm working on processing the wood . . . or burning some in the fire pit or while camping.

Incidentally, things are warming up nicely . . . but I still like to stay warm and so I've been lighting some morning and evening fires when need be.

Oh, good, I'm not alone.()

You are NOT alone, and you HAVE been assimilated.:cool:
Happens every year, and I know not to plan on putting the stove to sleep until sometime in the middle of May....sometimes later.
I've had a fire going all morning, and had one last night before I went to bed (house was getting a bit chilly).
Like Jake and many others, I process wood almost all year, and obsess over the stacks too. I'm very misunderstood, until I come on here.;lol

Reactions: n3pro
You are NOT alone, and you HAVE been assimilated.:cool:
Happens every year, and I know not to plan on putting the stove to sleep until sometime in the middle of May....sometimes later.
I've had a fire going all morning, and had one last night before I went to bed (house was getting a bit chilly).
Like Jake and many others, I process wood almost all year, and obsess over the stacks too. I'm very misunderstood, until I come on here.;lol
When I start talking "wood" to people, they tell me I get a glazed look in my eyes, like some half-crazed new grandmother going on about her first grandchild. At least you guys understand!
Funny, when I started this, the idea was to just supplement the oil boiler to save a few bucks. Now I refuse to allow the darn thing to kick in. I figured I would have a cord stacked and I would consider myself proud, now I have four cords and I'm looking for more. Already have the racks, gonna fill them over the summer.
Unfortunately, I don't have the acreage to process my own, but I am not above going after a scrounge, if me and my Pontiac Vibe can handle it.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I've been burning wood since 1982. Still get the withdrawal. It's a sickness!

"Now I refuse to allow the darn thing to kick in."
I'm not the only one, but the furnace has had the gas and power to it turned off for a few years now.
I found I could keep the house warm burning wood by merely changing habits.
No no no, not a sickness. It's a "lifestyle".;) The first definition might require therapy. :mad:

I sit in my back yard and stare at my stacks...People ask if "I think I have enough wood"....I tell them, you'll never understand....smh....

Reactions: n3pro and tfdchief
"Now I refuse to allow the darn thing to kick in."
I'm not the only one, but the furnace has had the gas and power to it turned off for a few years now.
I found I could keep the house warm burning wood by merely changing habits.
Learned that on these boards, too!!
No no no, not a sickness. It's a "lifestyle".;) The first definition might require therapy. :mad:
Can't speak for anyone else, but therapy might not be so far out of my needs...

I sit in my back yard and stare at my stacks...People ask if "I think I have enough wood"....I tell them, you'll never understand....smh....
Yes!! That's exactly what I am talking about!!

We still do occasional smaller evening fires just for ambiance. As long as I don't reload it doesn't get too warm. But we are still in the 40's at night.

I never really stop . . . if I'm not burning wood inside the woodstove I'm working on processing the wood . . . or burning some in the fire pit or while camping.
Incidentally, things are warming up nicely . . . but I still like to stay warm and so I've been lighting some morning and evening fires when need be.
Yep, now I'm looking for "primo" wood scores (I've got enough "very good" stuff already lined up to process.) Getting wood is at least as much fun as burning it. :) And it's time for outside fires and beer once in a while. I like to stay warm too; If it's below 68* in the house, I'm firin' one off.
check your forcast for monday and tuesday, that should put a smile on your face.
Lows in the low 40s and highs barely breaking 60 here for the next several nights. ::-)

Okay folks, I was thinking it was just me, but then after reading a few posts here I am under the impression that burning wood can be addictive.
This is my first year,(fire virgin) and after a challenging winter of learning about moisture meters, IR guns, how to load, maintain and sustain an overnight burn, and what the best wood is BTU-wise, I have finally decided it is time to put the stove to sleep for the warm season.
And then I start getting this LONGING to have just one more fire, just to take the chill off the night, you know? I start fiddling with the wood, wondering if I should do some more splitting so I have plenty of dry kindling for next winter. I find myself staring into the dark, empty abyss through the ceramic glass, thinking there is something wrong with this picture.
Is it just me? Is this just another manifestation of OCD? Am I obsessed with my wood stove??;hm
==c Still cold enough that we brought in one load of cherry last night (will have a fire tonight) we might get some snow next week.

zap

We just got another fire going. It is cool and damp here with falling temperatures. Present temperature is 43 but with the rain it feels cooler.

As for going without the fire, that does not bother me at all. However, since growing up and learning about wood heat in the 40's, I guess that is long enough that the fire doesn't fascinate any more but we still love it as much just for the way it makes one feel. I recall in the 40's and 50's when we had 2 heating stoves and a cook stove all fired by wood. My first chore was emptying ashes. I also proudly brought mother the wood for the cook stove because that was not heavy stuff like what went into the heaters. Naturally, I graduated from emptying ashes and bringing in the small wood to the next chore which was bringing wood from the wood shed to the back porch. That was a daily chore no matter the weather. Fortunately it was not a long distance. However, from the wood pile to the wood shed was a bit different. That was hard work. I also recall the first time I was asked to take one end of that crosscut saw to buck up some wood and the first time I grabbed the axe. After all, if my brothers could split wood, I could too. I was alone but that was ideal for me. Fortunately all went well. Gradually I went to more and more until the ultimate was running the chain saw. Oh yes, the memories... I hope many on this forum have good memories of the early days of burning wood like I do. Good luck to all.

Reactions: Gark and tfdchief
We just got another fire going. It is cool and damp here with falling temperatures. Present temperature is 43 but with the rain it feels cooler.

As for going without the fire, that does not bother me at all. However, since growing up and learning about wood heat in the 40's, I guess that is long enough that the fire doesn't fascinate any more but we still love it as much just for the way it makes one feel. I recall in the 40's and 50's when we had 2 heating stoves and a cook stove all fired by wood. My first chore was emptying ashes. I also proudly brought mother the wood for the cook stove because that was not heavy stuff like what went into the heaters. Naturally, I graduated from emptying ashes and bringing in the small wood to the next chore which was bringing wood from the wood shed to the back porch. That was a daily chore no matter the weather. Fortunately it was not a long distance. However, from the wood pile to the wood shed was a bit different. That was hard work. I also recall the first time I was asked to take one end of that crosscut saw to buck up some wood and the first time I grabbed the axe. After all, if my brothers could split wood, I could too. I was alone but that was ideal for me. Fortunately all went well. Gradually I went to more and more until the ultimate was running the chain saw. Oh yes, the memories... I hope many on this forum have good memories of the early days of burning wood like I do. Good luck to all.
Wow Dennis, that was like an article from Good Old Days Magazine.:) The only memories I have about heat was being fascinated with the coal and the furnace. My father would always holler at me for opening the door and watching the flames.
You are right about how it makes one feel, though. There is a security, or maybe just a satisfaction about having a warm blaze that you made yourself.

Thanks Sue. We used to burn some coal when I was a boy but wood probably was 99% of our heat as coal was too expensive as we were a poor family. Perhaps that is one reason I like wood and wood heat is that it brought such good feelings as a young lad. After all, when it is cold and you've had to work outdoors (or even some play) sitting next to the wood stove made me feel great!

You are also right about the security. Oh yes! Cutting the trees and making firewood to provide the home with the needed warmth during those cold months you do get the satisfaction of providing. You did it yourself! Nice.

Reactions: Gark
I guess that is long enough that the fire doesn't fascinate any more but we still love it as much just for the way it makes one feel....I was asked to take one end of that crosscut saw to buck up some wood...the ultimate was running the chain saw....I hope many on this forum have good memories of the early days of burning wood like I do.
I'll never cease to be fascinated by the fact that I can extract energy from the wood and control its release both from the wood and into the home. Even watching the wood burn mesmerizes me sometimes. :cool:
What? They made you use a crosscut saw when there was a power saw available? Parents could be tossed in jail for that kind of abuse today! ;lol
Memories of my "early days" of burning wood (starting in my early 30s) are all bad ones. I was trying to burn soggy Red Oak that had been cut a couple months previous; That stuff didn't burn worth a crap! I did hone my swearing chops during that time, so that was something positive that came out of it... ;lol

No reason to stop burning when house temps are in the low 60s. I'll be burning daily until sometime in June. You guys with four seasons are lucky, we burn 9 months a year!

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
firebroad, Thought you might get a charge out of my post 16 days ago https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/wood-burner-withdrawal.85625/ You aren't the only one;)

I'll never cease to be fascinated by the fact that I can extract energy from the wood and control its release both from the wood and into the home. Even watching the wood burn mesmerizes me sometimes. :cool:
What? They made you use a crosscut saw when there was a power saw available? Parents could be tossed in jail for that kind of abuse today! ;lol
Memories of my "early days" of burning wood (starting in my early 30s) are all bad ones. I was trying to burn soggy Red Oak that had been cut a couple months previous; That stuff didn't burn worth a crap! I did hone my swearing chops during that time, so that was something positive that came out of it... ;lol

Woody, have you ever ran a chainsaw that was state of the art back in the 1940's and 1950's? Those old gear driven beasts were terrible things to lug around and sloooooow. The crosscuts worked good on the small stuff and this is how we made a lot of the wood for the cook stove.

Reactions: tfdchief
Hampton 4-2012.jpg
30's tonight so I am working on my withdrawal symptoms;)

Reactions: n3pro
This discussion thread is, well, maybe I'm not crazy after all. Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: tfdchief
Woody, have you ever ran a chainsaw that was state of the art back in the 1940's and 1950's? Those old gear driven beasts were terrible things to lug around and sloooooow. The crosscuts worked good on the small stuff and this is how we made a lot of the wood for the cook stove.
Well, I didn't start cutting wood until the 80s, so no. But your description is conjuring up an image of something about twenty times as heavy as a crosscut saw! !!
This discussion thread is, well, maybe I'm not crazy after all. Thanks, everyone!
Or it could be that you are indeed crazy but you have a lot of company. ;lol

Reactions: tfdchief and Gark
Status
Not open for further replies.