Woodmen's Field Days in Boonville, NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
Hi Guys,

It is time for my annual Christmas-before-Christmas sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Woodmen's field days in Boonville, NY are from 18 through 20 August. Everything that has anything to do with wood cutting is there. Including really great deals on any gear you might need (cash only).

My list is as follows:
- 2 new 18 inch chains
- 1 helmet with visor and earmuffs
- 2 files for sharpening
- 1 timberjack
- 1 woodvise
- 1 8# maul
- 1 pair of chaps for my brother.

That is all for now. If Eric can think of something else he thinks he was missing in my garage, please fill in the blanks.

I will probably go on saturday early (before the crowds) and leave around 1 or 2 pm. Hope to see you all there.

Carpniels

I'll be manning our booth all day Friday, Niels, so I won't see you. However, I will leave your ball hitch at the booth, so please stop by and pick it up, along with a free magazine.

As Niels points out, shows like this one are the place to get saws and accessories--CHEAP. We're talking $10 chains and $2 gallons of oil, buy the case. A good head protection system will set you back about $35. I need one of those, too. And wooden maul handles.

Looks like you've been saving up your nickles over the summer, Niels.

velvetfoot said:
Is this a fun thing to go to that a wife might like too?
I might make the trek.

I enjoy going..does not look like I am going to be able to go this year...All the forestry equipment guys soup to nuts are there..all the woodmizer, forestry attachments, wood splitters...etc..As Carpniels says there are good deals to be had on everything from saws to gloves, jeans, boots, mauls, a couple local stove shops etc....Depending on her interests the Mrs...she might be giving you the hairy eyeball after 30 minutes..

There is another show in spring, eastern states ????something or other, this year it was up in Essex, VT next town over from Burlington, similar type show..Year before think it was down in Springfield, Mass..It moves around..similar type show..

Velvet foot,

Just remembered..there was also a building or two with arts/crafts type stuff which she may be interested in...but it is mostly forestry related equipment...check the web should be list of vendors and events...During the weekend it will be packed..

velvetfoot said:
Is this a fun thing to go to that a wife might like too?
I might make the trek.

My wife enjoyed it.....they have women competitions in the lumberjack area.....

I think most women can handle a couple of hours there......

Hey, can I annoint (or appoint) someone to take a bunch of pictures for Hearth.com?

Hey Vintage,

That Essex Jct. show is the one we put on (the magazine and association). It used to be in Springfield, but the Big E got a little pricey and we thought it would be nice to give Vermont a try. It exceeded our expectations. Next spring we'll be in Bangor, Maine.

I can probably take some pics of Boonville, Craig. It's more of a carnival atmosphere than a traditional trade show. You'll see some things there you probably wouldn't expect and may never forget. One gets the impression that there are folks there who only get out once a year for the Big Event. In some ways it's a piece of living history.

As a bonus: New York's only wood-fired power plant and the biggest wind energy farm in the country are both just up the road from Boonville. If the wife gets creeped out at the show, take a spin through the countryside and up onto the Tug Hill Plateau. It's beautiful.

Eric Johnson said:
Hey Vintage,

That Essex Jct. show is the one we put on (the magazine and association). It used to be in Springfield, but the Big E got a little pricey and we thought it would be nice to give Vermont a try. It exceeded our expectations. Next spring we'll be in Bangor, Maine.

I can probably take some pics of Boonville, Craig. It's more of a carnival atmosphere than a traditional trade show. You'll see some things there you probably wouldn't expect and may never forget. One gets the impression that there are folks there who only get out once a year for the Big Event. In some ways it's a piece of living history.

As a bonus: New York's only wood-fired power plant and the biggest wind energy farm in the country are both just up the road from Boonville. If the wife gets creeped out at the show, take a spin through the countryside and up onto the Tug Hill Plateau. It's beautiful.

Hey Eric,

Thank you..You hit the atmosphere right on!

Your editorial habits are working well...I was searching for the words and could not come up with any..

Eric Johnson said:
Hey Vintage,

Eric,

Enjoyed going to the Essex show...it was well done...I was there on either Friday or Thursday..Was glad I brought the umbrella...and got there early..next time will swing by the booth..matt

On describing Boonville:

Twenty-five years of working the show will do that to a guy, Vintage.

Hi Eric,

Sorry I will be missing you. I cannot take time of on friday to go. Plus the kids want to come to to see the machine and kettle corn!!

I will get the ball hithch at the booth. Thanks for remembering.

Carpniels

Hi Guys,

Well, the field days are over. I got my shopping in inbetween the showers. Lots of people. Lots of kettlecorn for the kids. These shows are fun because you get to see lots of different machine you never see in real life,, such as saw mills,debarkers, etc. Plus all the saws in all the different sizes are there. Anyone ever hear of Jonsered or Dolmar? Both were there, but 90% of the saw were Huskies and Stihls.

I bough what I appeared to be missing. The 2 extra chains ($10 a piece), the files ($9 for 12), the woodvise ($9), the 8# fiberglass maul ($25), the new EUROPEAN style Stihl helmet ($45), the pulphook ($15) and a timbertack ($55).

I believe I am fully ready to make my life a lot easier and safer. Can't wait until october.

Carpniels

P.S. Eric, Thanks for the ball.

My price quote on the chains was correct ($10 each), but I was way off on the oil. It used to be cheaper, but I bought 4 gallons for $18. It's probably not getting any cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.