Woodstock Ideal Steel Hybrid 210 AKA "IS"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2014
MD
Hello all,
Removed my Fisher Mama Stove this summer and tore down my masonry chimney. I have my IS installed and connected to Selkirk Class A UT chimney pipe. The chimney is 20' tall from the tee connection to the top. I have a goofy roof called a mansard so the second floor is tapered in about 1.5' on all sides going up to a flat roof slanted towards the rear of the dwelling. Started my burn in fire last night and was happy with the stove.

I do have a question for the IS burners here. I was able to slowly heat the stove to 400 monitored at the point where the stove would exit for a top exhaust. I exhaust out the back. I ran it at 400 for the required 45 minutes. I had the cat engaged and was running about 3/4 open on the air. I disengaged the cat to add 3 large splits of mixed wood Oak and Cherry. closed the door and ran draft open full air to ignite the new load. Engaged the cat after a fem more and reached 550 degrees easily. Suppose to burn at 600 for 45-60 minutes and I could never get to 600. Itried moving the air to 1/3 open kinda hung at 550. Closed the air to 1/4 and it went down little. Opened air to 3/4 and it just hung at 550. What should I do when trying to hit the 600 degree mark? Run full air cat disengaged close down the air below 1/4 with cat engaged?

This stove runs way different then my Fisher and I know there is going to be a learning curve. Wood was in the 15-20 percent moisture range with no sizzling at the ends ever during the burn. Will post a video of the process once I edit the footage. Will add some pics of the chimney install this evening hopefully. Out side temp was 70 degrees. One thing I was suprised with was the temp of the Class A double wall chimney pipe outside reading 150 degrees 1' above the tee.

Thanks for you thoughts

~Micah

Last edited:
Chimney Pics

20150828_170001.jpg 20150822_131044.jpg 20150822_122035.jpg 20150816_165350.jpg 20150815_183719.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be weak draft. The stove will draft much more strongly when the temp drops 20 deg. outside. How tall is the new chimney? Does it extend at least 2 ft above the roof?

Could be weak draft. The stove will draft much more strongly when the temp drops 20 deg. outside. How tall is the new chimney? Does it extend at least 2 ft above the roof?

The chimney extends 4' above roof line including the cap on top. Total chimney is 21'.

That should be plenty. Try again when the weather cools down. Also, new firebrick can have moisture in it. Once that bakes out the temp may go up and the stove more responsive.

If you want higher stove temperatures with outside temperatures the way they are, I suggest you use pine or other softwood. Or use small splits. You need fast off gassing for the cat to work well with the poor draft.

Thanks for the replies. When the temps drop more I will try again to kit the 600 mark. Just want to set the paint and get out all the bad fumes while the temps are nice to have doors and windows open.

Status
Not open for further replies.