Woodstock Keystone/Palladian techniques?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Hearth Supporter
Jan 9, 2008
WNC
Hey, all. I've had fires in my Keystone for the last several days, and I am really enjoying the stove. A few questions, though...

What should I be seeing in the firebox as far as optimal burns go? The manual says "darker colored flames," and I get those when I engage the cat, but depending on the draft i can get the dark flames all the way up to the top of the firebox or really low. What works best for you?

At present, I have only filled the firebox about halfway full with small and medium splits. If I fill it more full than that, can I keep the darker flames fairly low and have the balance of the unlit wood catch and burn down? Or should I wait until all of the wood lights and then cut back on draft?

My surface temps are around 400 to 550 degrees with the amount of wood I'm putting in there now.

I am new to burning, but I am enjoying it immensely so far. I suspect that I could just sit down there of an evening with a good book and my wife and be content. It's like it's the new TV.

It really depends on how much heat and how long a burn you want. For a long burn adjust the air down til the flame rises off the splits and kinda floats above. Sometimes it will look like it's out and all of a sudden the firebox bursts into a blue/orange flame. For more heat give it more air and keep those coals good and red with more flames. The air controls on the Woodstocks can be very sensitive and the slightest adjustment can make a big difference. It will take some trial and error figuring out your stove. I like to engage at #1 and leave it there for a few minutes then adjust it down somewhere between .5 and #1 depending on what I want for heat output. I haven't heard many people burning their stoves much over #1, but every setup is different. Have fun.

If you fill it full, get it up to temp, shut it down fairly low, then yes, you will basically burn the wood from the top front slowly working your way to the back and bottom. I cant' do that and keep my stove top under five hundred without putting out the flames, and even then my stove top measured directly above the combustor will hit as haigh as 750 though it really is not providing maximal heat that way. Heat production is just as Todd describes. It's very easy to just sit and watch the fire show in this stove. It's kind of like watching the northern lights. Plus, it just happpens to be providing really nice even heat while its at it. Love my Keystone! PM me with any questions you have.

Todd pretty much nailed it. Even the manual states to adjust in 1/8" increments. We used to dial right down when engaging the cat but lately we've been using Todd's method of setting it on 1 for a short time and then going down further. We can go down to .25 some times and .5 other times depending upon what wood we have loaded the stove with.

Status
Not open for further replies.