Woodstock Progress Hybrid Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
I think Woodstock should of posted the clearance requirements before taking orders. Maybe it will be less than the Fireview because of the top vent?

I'm hoping, but I have my doubts since the Keystone and Palladian both rear vent and it only drops the rear clearances by three inches. It would be awesome if it had the same rear clearances as a Hearthstone stove. It would push the stove back by a foot versus Woodstock's normal clearances. Which makes a world of difference in the living room.

In the den that has the walk-in fireplace, it doesn't matter. But, that location will be updated after the living room gets a larger stove.

Just received an email about the stove and their open house oct 7 - 8.

Burn Time - up to 16 hours. They don't seem to exagerate much with their burn times so a 16 hour burn sure sounds nice!!

22" max would length.

Left or right side loading door and ash pan door.

640 lbs!!

Sounds awesome!

Yeah, I just gave them a call. Rear clearances have not been defined, yet. They will contact me when they do.

BrowningBAR said:
Yeah, I just gave them a call. Rear clearances have not been defined, yet. They will contact me when they do.

I was told that the clearances are set by the lab. So when they can get their first stove together, they will get it sent to the lab. Hopefully that will go quickly!! I'm curious as to what the clearances will be too!

Tim IA said:
BrowningBAR said:

I was told that the clearances are set by the lab. So when they can get their first stove together, they will get it sent to the lab. Hopefully that will go quickly!! I'm curious as to what the clearances will be too!

I told the woman I spoke with that if she gets a vote in the decision that she should say 8" with rear heatshield... I think she thought I might have been a bit odd.

Todd said:
I think Woodstock should of posted the clearance requirements before taking orders. Maybe it will be less than the Fireview because of the top vent?

Although it's very tempting to try this new stove out I'm very satisfied with my 2 Keystones for now. Besides, my wife wants new kitchen countertops more than a new stove and no she doesn't want soapstone, she wants granite. It will be a very interesting hearing how these new stoves work out this Winter.

I had pretty much written off this stove because of the higher flue exit height. (5" higher than my installed fireview's) The short leg kit fixes that. No ash pan with the short legs but I've never had one so I don't know what I'd be missing.
My install site has excess clearance for the fireview so I am hoping it won't be an issue with this stove though it's something I'll verify before pulling the trigger.
The left door option will work out much better, the bigger viewing glass and extra fuel capacity are a bonus. I also think the look of the stove will be a little better match with the rest of the house...

3fordasho said:
Todd said:

Although it's very tempting to try this new stove out I'm very satisfied with my 2 Keystones for now. Besides, my wife wants new kitchen countertops more than a new stove and no she doesn't want soapstone, she wants granite. It will be a very interesting hearing how these new stoves work out this Winter.

I had pretty much written off this stove because of the higher flue exit height. (5" higher than my installed fireview's) The short leg kit fixes that. No ash pan with the short legs but I've never had one so I don't know what I'd be missing.
My install site has excess clearance for the fireview so I am hoping it won't be an issue with this stove though it's something I'll verify before pulling the trigger.
The left door option will work out much better, the bigger viewing glass and extra fuel capacity are a bonus. I also think the look of the stove will be a little better match with the rest of the house...

So I'm not the only one that has a perfectly good woodstock stove already installed in my home...... and wanting to rip it out and put in this new one?? Maybe if Todd does it...... Shoot, I've only installed 5 stoves/inserts in my home in the last 13 years. There is nothing wrong with that is there??

BrowningBAR said:
Tim IA said:
BrowningBAR said:

I told the woman I spoke with that if she gets a vote in the decision that she should say 8" with rear heatshield... I think she thought I might have been a bit odd.

They probably think we are all a little odd over here, but ya, you probably are the front runner odd ball. :lol: Hope the new stove works for you, maybe you could cut down to 2 stoves and make your life a little easier.

Tim IA said:
Shoot, I've only installed 5 stoves/inserts in my home in the last 13 years. There is nothing wrong with that is there??

I'm on four in four years. I am totally going to beat you! :p

Tim IA said:
3fordasho said:
Todd said:

So I'm not the only one that has a perfectly good woodstock stove already installed in my home...... and wanting to rip it out and put in this new one?? Maybe if Todd does it...... Shoot, I've only installed 5 stoves/inserts in my home in the last 13 years. There is nothing wrong with that is there??

No, nothing wrong with that, sounds like your way over due for a new stove, I've gone through 5 stoves in the last 8 years, no way will I last another 5 years before I get the itch again.

Todd said:
Tim IA said:
3fordasho said:
Todd said:

No, nothing wrong with that, sounds like your way over due for a new stove, I've gone through 5 stoves in the last 8 years, no way will I last another 5 years before I get the itch again.

Is there an official name for this disease?? I want to be properly diagnosed. I see you have 2 keystone stoves now. Why did you get rid of the fireview?

Tim IA said:

Nah, nothing wrong with that... I'm usually not happy untill I have 3 or 4 of very similar things... done it over the years with cars, chainsaws, now stoves... why change? ;-)

Of course to make it worse- over the summer I found a perfectly good used fireview in the next town over for $500. That's in the garage for paint right now.
Pulling the trigger on the new hybrid stove will mean I'll have two fireviews with no home....

Tim IA said:
Todd said:
Tim IA said:
3fordasho said:
Todd said:

Is there an official name for this disease?? I want to be properly diagnosed. I see you have 2 keystone stoves now. Why did you get rid of the fireview?

Buddy of mine was looking for a stove and was drooling over my Fireview. I liked my Keystone so much I figured I'd get another and sell him the Fireview. I have 2000 sq ft and figured 2 Keystones should easily take care of it if the Fireview/Keystone can. Woodstock had a refurb Keystone for cheap so I went for it.

Tim IA said:
3fordasho said:
Todd said:

So I'm not the only one that has a perfectly good woodstock stove already installed in my home...... and wanting to rip it out and put in this new one??

Nope, I too have a perfectly good Fireview I am considering ripping out and replacing with the Frankenstove. My deal is I am tired of fighting the Fireview's reload schedule, I am lucky to get 6-7 hours of good heat output on a cold night, even with Oak. It's not the Fireviews fault, it's just too small for my house and weather conditions. It would be worth it to get a stove that burns over 12 hours with the same or better heat output. I won't have to race home from work or wake up for a 4am weekend stove feeding. :lol:

I like the 80,000 btu output. The weight will tax a few folks for moving the stove at 640 lbs. Wood length of 22" is pretty good and many will like that as it means less cutting with the saw. The 2,000 sq. ft. is probably conservative. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.

Sounds like Dennis is tempted as well. You could always haul one back with you after the party. ;-)

Todd, that couple from Milwaukee toted one home in their PT Cruiser. Do you think one would fit in a Vibe? lol Maybe I should take a trailer? Well, I think we'd best see how this house heats this coming winter after the addition and remodeling and then decide if we'll get one or not.

Just put down the deposit on mine. They told me I was the first to fill out the reservation form. Unfortunately the short leg "plinth" option will delay things a bit as it needs to be tested seperately and the standard leg version is the first to get tested. That's ok as I have a perfectly functional Fireview where the new stove will eventually go. There will be a rear heat shield option for the new stove, no idea what the rear clearance will be with or with out it.

Good Tim. But you are not the only one as I spoke with another party who has reserved one too. Maybe that was over the phone though. I suspect most will be done that way.

Backwoods Savage said:
Todd, that couple from Milwaukee toted one home in their PT Cruiser. Do you think one would fit in a Vibe? lol Maybe I should take a trailer? Well, I think we'd best see how this house heats this coming winter after the addition and remodeling and then decide if we'll get one or not.

Yes it would. You might want to put the back seats down for extra wiggle room. I rented a Vibe when I picked up the Encore. Plenty of room without putting the back seats down and the low trunk entrance made loading easier than it would have been with my truck.

It was actually a fun rental. I did 90+ all the way to Maryland.

I put a deposit down this morning :cheese: I'm hoping that the standard legs will work with my mantel clearances. My heart is alternating between racing and skipping beats. Going to be a long wait until the end of October. Then, again, I've got 5 cord of wood to move and restack and 16 cord of wood to stack in its place, guess I know how I'll while away the time ;-)

I may have to do some measuring just out of curiosity of nothing else.

Backwoods Savage said:
I may have to do some measuring just out of curiosity of nothing else.

Lay it down, take the legs of, and your in!

I filled out the reservation form online this morning. It said they would call to confirm and arrange for the deposit payment. I haven't heard back yet. I'm trying to not be overly excited and wait for them to call.

This is my first post, BTW. I love the site and can't wait to share pics and report on the new stove.

Now, a couple of questions:

My house is roughly 1,600 square-feet with a very open layout. Living, dining, and kitchen make a completely open "L" which is about 570 square-feet. One third of that is cathdral and open to upstairs hallway and loft bedroom. Stove is in the living room. I am assuming with this new stove I can turn her down pretty low and not fry the main living area? I like the Keystone but don't think that will cut it without running it hot and reducing burn times. My hope is I can run the new stove pretty low and get fantastic burn times while asleep and at work and guess that I can always just not load her full if it's getting too warm in the house.

I have a 3.5 inch brick hearth and I'm not sure what is behind the brick. My guess is that the brick is actually just freestanding with no combustibles behind it for several inches if not a foot. I either need to cut some drywall from the stairwell behind to confirm, or I can just pretend there are wood studs behind the brick and make sure I maintain clearances that way. So, say the back clearance to combustibles for the new stove is 18 inches with a heat shield. I could place the stove 14.5 inches (18 - 3.5 brick) from the face of the brick and be OK if there are studs behind it? I.E. I can just pretend the bricks aren't there?

Thanks!

Waulie said:
I filled out the reservation form online this morning. It said they would call to confirm and arrange for the deposit payment. I haven't heard back yet. I'm trying to not be overly excited and wait for them to call.

This is my first post, BTW. I love the site and can't wait to share pics and report on the new stove.

Now, a couple of questions:

My house is roughly 1,600 square-feet with a very open layout. Living, dining, and kitchen make a completely open "L" which is about 570 square-feet. One third of that is cathdral and open to upstairs hallway and loft bedroom. Stove is in the living room. I am assuming with this new stove I can turn her down pretty low and not fry the main living area? I like the Keystone but don't think that will cut it without running it hot and reducing burn times. My hope is I can run the new stove pretty low and get fantastic burn times while asleep and at work and guess that I can always just not load her full if it's getting too warm in the house.

I have a 3.5 inch brick hearth and I'm not sure what is behind the brick. My guess is that the brick is actually just freestanding with no combustibles behind it for several inches if not a foot. I either need to cut some drywall from the stairwell behind to confirm, or I can just pretend there are wood studs behind the brick and make sure I maintain clearances that way. So, say the back clearance to combustibles for the new stove is 18 inches with a heat shield. I could place the stove 14.5 inches (18 - 3.5 brick) from the face of the brick and be OK if there are studs behind it? I.E. I can just pretend the bricks aren't there?

Thanks!

Welcome aboard, With an open floor plan I think the new stove would work just fine for you, looks to be very controlable and I also think they are working on some kind of thermostat which will make it even better.

Your right on the clearances, measure through the bricks to the combustibles. I'm thinking the rear clearances of this stove will be closer to the Keystone than the Fireview since it's top vented, I'm guessing around 12" but that's just a guess. I would still take a peak behind that brick just to see what's back there, I think you can reduce clearances even further if there was a 1" air gap between the brick and combustibles?

Status
Not open for further replies.