Woodstock Progress Hybrid Video

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum Waulie.

You do not necessarily need to be concerned with overheating the stove room even with your setup. The key is to run that ceiling fan so it sucks air up. For heating the rest of the house, a small desktop fan sitting on the floor and running on low speed blowing cool air into the stove room will also work wonders for moving that warm air into the cooler areas of the house. We used to try to move the warm air but have learned that it pays to move the cool air instead. It works!

I also agree with Todd.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

The way the code is written, you need to have a "ventilated" 1 inch air gap. It then defines what ventilated means, and I don't have that. If the clearance is no more than 18 inches with the heat shield, I will be good. Any more than that, and I would need to do some construction to ventilate the air space that I think exists.

I do have two ceiling fans in the main room and know the trick of the floor fan from trying to heat the one back room last winter with a scary 80's wood stove and wet wood. I just moved in in December and there wasn't any wood split. I will be OK on wood this year and great next year.

I received an email from Woodstock stating that they got my reservation and that I needed to call to secure my place in line, which I will do tomorrow. It does kind of make me wonder why they have the online reservation form, though. I could have just called today.

Methinks they are just trying to cover the bases so everyone can get in line. Sorry but I had intended to post and suggest you call them. My memory banks seem to be short circuited these days and I forgot all about it.

For those of you that are ordering this new stove, all we ask is that you provide reviews after you have had a few burns in it. I'm really anxious to hear how well it works :)

Definitely. Haven't had this much excitement since the birth of the Rangeley and the Englander 17-VL.

I can't wait to document installation and the first few burns in the PH. I also hope someone comes up with a universally accepted nickname for it. ;-P

BeGreen said:
Definitely. Haven't had this much excitement since the birth of the Rangeley and the Englander 17-VL.

That T-6 is getting pretty old, might want to retire it for a new Woodstock? ;-)

If Woodstock wants to send one out for a seasonal test, I'm game.

BeGreen, methinks there are plenty of folks willing to do the testing. lol

Ah, but I can provide several tests that are unique. Comparison to a strong competitor. Testing with NW softwoods and hardwoods. And the ever important wife test (she doesn't like the look of soapstone stoves).

Ah but I can test and compare it to another soapstone. My wife loves the soapstone stoves. Maybe we could flip a coin...

BeGreen said:
Ah, but I can provide several tests that are unique. Comparison to a strong competitor. Testing with NW softwoods and hardwoods. And the ever important wife test (she doesn't like the look of soapstone stoves).

Clearly I have you beat. I could test the Hybrid-AwfulName against the New Defiant which could go against the Blaze King Princess insert. Comparing cast iron to soapstone to steel and free standing vs insert cat comparisons all in the same house! Obviously stove manufacturers need to call me pronto. And for the right price, I'll accept sponsors. And like any sponsored event they will get their logo attached to my house much like a NASCAR vehicle. The more cash they give, the larger the logo that will appear on my house, which, might I add, is on a well traveled road.

Lumber yards won't be left out of this incredibly opportunity. Lumber yard sponsors will get a large billboard sign placed over my wood piles that reads "This house only burns [Insert Lumber Yard] wood". Get your billboard today for the low, low cost of 10 split and stacked cords per year. You can't afford NOT to take advantage of this incredible deal.

BBar's House of Wood Burning
Your Stove Ain't Trusted Unless Your Name Is On My Home.

Uncle!! LOL :lol:

BBar's house of wood burning? And you wondered why Woodstock thought of you as odd?

Since I have already purchased 3 of their stoves, they might as well send me another to test and compare to the others. Then I will send them one back that they can sell as a refurb. Or they could just send me a bunch of stoves and I'll open up a more centrally located Woodstock distribution center and sell them throughout the midwest.

According to their new blog they expect their new stove to have a 10" rear clearance, much less than their other stoves. This along with a short 8" front clearance since it has no front door should make the hearth size requirements more in line with other manufactures.

I've been checking that everyday and the one day I don't check.......
Thanks Todd for the heads-up! Short clearances sounds great!! Probably means that even though it is a bigger stove, it will fit where my current fireview resides. That is great news!! Except that I don't really need a new stove :)

Now that they are shipping a stove to the lab today, I hope that means they might leak a few pictures of the completed product!!!

Todd said:
According to their new blog they expect their new stove to have a 10" rear clearance, much less than their other stoves. This along with a short 8" front clearance since it has no front door should make the hearth size requirements more in line with other manufactures.

If that holds true, I've found my stove. Two left side loading Progress-AwfulNames might be in my future. At the very least, it's at the top of the list.

(Important to note, the 10" rear clearance is with the heat shield attached.)

It's also good to note that this expected rear clearance is to combustibles so like their other stoves this 10" probably can be reduced further with a non combustible cement board, brick or stone attached to a combustible wall.

I sure hope the clearances come in close to that. I wonder if the slanted baffle along with the front-pointed cat might reduce rear stove temps?

The part of the update that has me concerned is the "If the Progress is too much stove for you (and it will be for many people), we expect to offer some great prices on our other woodstoves for a brief period during this introduction"

I hope it is not too much stove for me. They still haven't shown a video of what looks like a truly low burn. I'm right in between a Keystone and the new silly name. I suppose bigger is better.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

If that holds true, I've found my stove. Two left side loading Progress-AwfulNames might be in my future. At the very least, it's at the top of the list.

(Important to not, the 10" rear clearance is with the heat shield attached.)

None of my business, but you might ought to put a deposit on one to hold the low initial price. I gather the 6 month money back guarantee is applicable to this stove. If so, and the clearances workout, you could give the stove a try and return it if it doesn't get the job done after several months of operation.

Just a thought.

Good luck,
Bill

leeave96 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

(Important to not, the 10" rear clearance is with the heat shield attached.)

None of my business, but you might ought to put a deposit on one to hold the low initial price. I gather the 6 month money back guarantee is applicable to this stove. If so, and the clearances workout, you could give the stove a try and return it if it doesn't get the job done after several months of operation.

Just a thought.

Good luck,
Bill

I'm already thinking about that. I need to call and see how payment works. I did not budget buying a new stove within the next 6 month. It's a little different than throwing down a few bucks on a good deal on CraigsList. The original plan was to squirrel away money on a monthly basis until next August for a new stove.

I’m already thinking about that. I need to call and see how payment works. I did not budget buying a new stove within the next 6 month. It’s a little different than throwing down a few bucks on a good deal on CraigsList. The original plan was to squirrel away money on a monthly basis until next August for a new stove.

They take all major credit cards, and the deposit is 100% refundable should you change your mind! At least, that's what they told me.

Todd said:
It's also good to note that this expected rear clearance is to combustibles so like their other stoves this 10" probably can be reduced further with a non combustible cement board, brick or stone attached to a combustible wall.

The stove is heading out to the test lab today. We should know actual clearances in a couple weeks.

Waulie said:
I’m already thinking about that. I need to call and see how payment works. I did not budget buying a new stove within the next 6 month. It’s a little different than throwing down a few bucks on a good deal on CraigsList. The original plan was to squirrel away money on a monthly basis until next August for a new stove.

They take all major credit cards, and the deposit is 100% refundable should you change your mind! At least, that's what they told me.

Sorry, I don't charge things. I'd rather spend a little more later than a lot more on interest rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.