Woodstock progress hybrid owners I NEED YOUR HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

countrychick

Oct 24, 2016
NW
Im hoping I get a response here from Woodstock progress owners!! Help!! My husband thinks the outside air intake is going to be a eyesore. We have to install one for the nearly 1100 tax credit to be qualified for in Oregon. So here is what I need help with:

Do any of you have the fresh air intake installed? Can you PLEASE post photo here???
Help????

They are referred to OAK's and worse case is put on together to get the tax credit and then if you don't like it take it off. Some members here were very creative, they hid there oaks in there hearth, others simply painted the air pipes flat black to match the chimney / stove. The typical size of pipe is 3" depending how long of a run you plan on doing, either strait down through the sub floor into an existing crawl space or down and then piped to the outside, or level with the bottom of the stove pipe directly through a wall to the outside.

Reactions: keithmaryq
Yes the OAK. Right. Yes we'd be piping through the floor (crawl space). It's a 5inch though with then a adaptor to 4".
I really need pix of what people have done. Surely there are several people on the forum that have them and a could take photos for us???

Someone?

We won't buy one without seeing this. It is required to have them installed. Our house was built in 2008. So we really prob will need one. I've read on the forum it does help with smoke some people have issues with this stove.

So hoping to get help with this. Or we can just buy the jotul which pipes from the bottom of the stove.

We can't hide it. Here is our hearth. We will have to be out a way from the back wall due to a truss that's in the way

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 283
Oh ok, I miss understood what you were asking, I see your plight now, Maybe you can call Woodstock and they can 1st tell you if there's a kit available, then secondly take a pic and send it to you.

5" sounds to big, even 4" is maxing it out, I would confirm that with Woodstock before cutting anything, my BK kit was 3"

Yes it is 5" with adaptor available. I've confirmed all. And called them. No photos there. It's crazy! They should have photos of all that stuff!! Customers care about this stuff!
No owners have even posted photos! It's crazy.

After going on woodstocks website and looking at a few pics and then looking at your heart I think the oak pipe will barely be noticeable, the progress hybrid's legs don't really make the stove stand high off the ground, and the ash pan is pretty big so really your talking just inches between the hearth and ash pan visually, looking down also, I would pipe it and paint the pipe flat black, your tile work will keep the eyes busy anyway so people wont notice anything either.

Thanks for your thoughts on it. Surely someone has one installed. I'm hoping someone posts pictures. Can't believe that Woodstock doesn't have this for their customers. Not all of us install in a corner. Lol

How far does the stove have to sit from the wall? If you top-vent the PH, it's obviously gonna sit closer to the wall, but I can see where you may not want to do that, visually. Is the entrance to the room such that you see the stove from the side when you enter the room? If you enter the room facing the stove, and would have to walk around the side of the stove to see the OAK, I wouldn't think it would have much visual impact...but you folks have already thought this through, no doubt. I wonder if there's a way to pre-determine if an OAK will even be necessary? Also, how tall will the chimney be? With strong draft, the OAK may be less of an issue, I don't know. I'm guessing that if the OAK is needed, you are concerned with the its appearance, looking from the side of the stove. I wonder if you could have a sheet metal shop fab a custom air duct, flatter but wider, and adaptor that would minimize the thickness when looking from the side. Like OhioBurner said in your other thread, you've already got a big, black pipe connected to the stove...unless you get some fancy painted connector pipe. ==c But in your end-of-the-world scenario, the last thing you will be concerned with is aesthetics. ;)

Here is photo. Current pipe is from our old z clearance stupid gas fireplace. That's coming out. It's not to code for wood stove. Has to be at least 6" from wall. Truss is in the way. So have to go on other side of first truss. Puts us out 18" approx. going straight up.

If you're coming up from below, it really won't be all that noticeable. You can keep it closer to the stove, paint it black or whatever color the hearth will be. 5" sounds awfully large for an OAK. Where does the OAK connect to the stove. Back / bottom?

Not sure what you are going to be installing over the hearth plywood, bur according the the manual, you can just put tile over plywood. You will need insulation board over the plywood. Something like micore, then durock, then whatever you want to put on top to R value of .80, or down to .40 is using the ash lip, but not with short legs.

Just thinking safety.

Last edited:
I see it is 5", but they state you can reduce to 4" with an adapter. That is huge, but that's what they call for.

How about slamming the stove back to the minimum clearance required, maybe use double-wall connector to get it closer to the wall (6" I think,) then kicking the connector pipe out with a couple 15* elbows to reach the pipe at the top? Might look kinda funky, though...
BTW, is a support box needed there at the top??

It could be that you are hyper-focussing on this issue. I would probably take it straight out the back, paint the pipe black. But even with their adapter and run straight down into a duct that is painted black it still won't be that noticeable behind the stove. The other option is to just have a vent grate in the rear of the hearth that supplies makeup air. This could be closed off on breezy days to reduce cold air infiltration.

Hogwildz:We will be connecting to the floor.....through crawl space. =) Yeah 5" with adaptor to 4". It is big, you are right!

woodystover: Yeah that pipe we have in the photo is coming out.....that is old pipe from our zclearnce gas fireplace that we ripped out (my mid life crisis). lol. No we cannot go back to 6"....because of truss. It isn't far enough out...have to skip over to the next space. about 18" out.
Yeah don't want funky....want to go straight up! AND we are going to put pipe right on the peak so only have to have a 2 ft pipe that way. The stove will be sitting basically exactly mid line....so can go straight up to the peak with the pipe.

begreen: hyperfocusing......me?? lolololol. You are starting to figure me out!!! And I am new here! Good job!
Yes you are thinking exactly how we are thinking! You are a genius! Not sure why it took us this long to figure this out.

So in Oregon there is two options for our tax credit in regards to the outside air....
1. A duct to the outside directly connected to the stove (this is the states preferred method)
2. A duct to the outside which terminates at the hearth or in the room where the stove is located.

We are now thinking to do the second option and not mess with hooking it up! =) We are thinking to have the vent directly under the stove. Would that work? And how would you close it off on windy days? Secretly I am thinking once it is installed maybe we would just close it off permanently! lol. But have to jump through the 'tax credit hoop', in Oregon this stove gets nearly 1100 tax credit!!!

I hope your peak doesn't have a ridge pole? If it does, that is a lot of work. Make sure it is boxed out and done strong.
There are magnetic pcs you can buy to cover the vent register. Or just get one that opens & closes.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Secretly I am thinking once it is installed maybe we would just close it off permanently
That would work, if you are sure it's gonna draft well without the OAK. That's why I've been asking if there's a way to determine this up front, but no response here yet from the experts. You wouldn't want to have an open hole in the floor, then find out you need to have it open. I would sooner have it set up for the OAK duct in case I needed it, instead of risking a drafty room.
hyperfocusing......me?? lolololol.
Seek professional help if needed to get past this issue, so you can go ahead and get that sweet piece o' rock in there on that hearth! ;)

I'm not sure what a ridge pole is. I think they plan to box it out. We have a installer. Not putting it in ourselves.
Ok will look for a magnetic top. Thanks!

I called Woodstock and they said most of their customers never install OAK's. So I would think having the vent will be fine. I told the guy what we were thinking to do. His main concern was just that it might be too drafty in the house itself. But if we cap it that would be a option for getting rid of draft. It is all stupid if you ask me. =) We really don't need the vent but for the tax credit we have to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.